Laptop screen won't turn on and system fails after cleanout

Closed
imagazzell Posts 2 Registration date Wednesday January 14, 2015 Status Member Last seen January 19, 2015 - Jan 14, 2015 at 06:11 AM
zangxuma Posts 1 Registration date Tuesday December 2, 2014 Status Member Last seen April 30, 2015 - Jan 19, 2015 at 11:10 PM
We have a Dell Inspiron 1525. It has been having overheating problems for a while, so tonight I opened it up, removed the heatsink, cleaned out the clogged up fan and cleaned/replaced the thermal paste on the CPU. While taking off the heatsink, the thermal pad that was on the GPU tore. I didn't have another pad handy, so I used (non-conductive) thermal paste on that as well. Also, while I had the heatsink out, I inspected the CPU and found that one of the corner pins was actually bent outward (yes, it came from the factory that way!), so I (very carefully) straightened it before reseating the CPU.

Now, when I try to start the computer the screen stays completely blank (no Dell logo, no command lines, nothing), the HD and disc drives spin, and after a few seconds the entire system dies...

I've researched here and elsewhere for similar problems, and have tried some of the suggested solutions (unplug power, hold pwr button 30 sec, plug in power, and boot; remove/swap the memory) but so far nothing has worked.

What could the problem be? Could switching from a thermal pad to thermal paste on the GPU cause this? Or straightening the bent CPU pin? Could it have been intentionally bent to work properly? I've certainly never heard of such a thing...

Any advice that might help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Related:

3 responses

R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Jan 14, 2015 at 08:55 AM
Hi Imagazzell,

Unfortunately I believe there could be some issue, provoked by that pin bending. Since that your PC was working fine, you should have left it as it was by default. This is just an assumption, but I don't think you have done anything else wrong. If the thermal paste was the issue, you would be able to load at least BIOS and maybe there would have been some overheating. I strongly recommend you to consult a technician.

I hope you will find a way to fix it.
imagazzell Posts 2 Registration date Wednesday January 14, 2015 Status Member Last seen January 19, 2015
Jan 19, 2015 at 09:38 PM
Well, I got it fixed, and you'll never believe how...

As a last-ditch effort, after trying everything else that I could think of, I did the unthinkable, and actually bent the CPU pin back the way it was... Put it back in, threw everything back together, hit the power button, and boom, on she came. I have no idea why the pin was bent, nor how that makes the computer work, but it's working, so I'm not going to question it!

Moral of the story: If you don't know why something is the way it is, LEAVE IT ALONE.
zangxuma Posts 1 Registration date Tuesday December 2, 2014 Status Member Last seen April 30, 2015
Jan 19, 2015 at 11:10 PM
ke out the hard drive of the machine, and buy a new computer. With that money, you can buy a new one, and salvage your data while you're at it.