External hard disk not shown up in laptop

Closed
malik - Mar 29, 2015 at 05:08 AM
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   - Mar 30, 2015 at 02:53 AM
Hello,
when i connect a external hard disk to hp laptop(window 8) .A light shown up in hard disk but when i open in my computer .hard disk not shown... i check through hidden icon but still not shown .... even in device management n universal serial port controller,its connectivity not shown ,i try to connect in other computer also there not shown hard disk in my computer ........... what is problem???? i have important data in it ....and if hard disk crash then how to recover data ....need solution sooon

Related:

2 responses

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,168
Mar 29, 2015 at 05:26 AM
After plugging in the device, go to device manager (In run type "devmgmt.msc") In Device manager go to "Universal serial bus controllers" It should list the storage devices that you have connected to your PC. Right click and then click "Uninstall. Remove the USB drive and restart your system.
Try connecting the device again
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Mar 30, 2015 at 02:53 AM
Hi there,

Sadly, it is not a good sign if the drive is not working on two different PCs. What do you see, when you enter Disk Management? What is the file format? Is it possible to change drive's letter? I recommend you to search drive manufacturer's web page for some diagnostic utility and check the device. If your data is important, you may find some useful tools online or try using a Linux Live CD. It may give you enough access to copy your information out of the drive.

Hope this helps