1st build, no signal when installed in case

Closed
randystoppenhagen Posts 3 Registration date Thursday May 7, 2015 Status Member Last seen May 11, 2015 - May 7, 2015 at 09:42 PM
randystoppenhagen Posts 3 Registration date Thursday May 7, 2015 Status Member Last seen May 11, 2015 - May 11, 2015 at 01:51 PM
My Wife is doing her 1st computer build, and everything seemed to go together smoothly.
Fired it up and got "no signal".
Double checked all the connections and still "no signal".
Removed the motherboard, etc from the case and it fired up just fine.
Put everything back into the case, "no signal".
Any suggestions?
Thank you!

3 responses

Computertech Posts 3569 Registration date Friday February 6, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen July 18, 2016 892
May 8, 2015 at 01:35 AM
Hello randystoppenhagen,
Is your pc got signal without casing..
It sounds like your motherboad may touch any foreign object which cause short circuit the motherboard and causing no signal..
If anything on that case you using clear that.. and fix your motherboard in correct way..
randystoppenhagen Posts 3 Registration date Thursday May 7, 2015 Status Member Last seen May 11, 2015
May 8, 2015 at 06:19 PM
Thank you Computertech for the the response.
I'm using a ThermalTake H23 Versa case and Asus M5A97 R2.0 motherboard. Is there something specific I should be looking for in regards to the grounding issue? A friend recommended using a rubber gasket/washer in between the case and motherboard, and potentially between the motherboard and screw head as well. Would this be a viable solution? Or is there some other solution?
Thank you. Brenda
Blocked Profile
May 8, 2015 at 08:51 PM
OK, slow down.

SO, if you boot the machine out of the case (like in a lego case), it boots fine? Where is the P/S at that point? Does the PS have a three prong adaptor? Are you using an anti-static mat for a workstation? Are you working on carpet or tile? Do you have shoes on, or just socks?

Static is a wicked thing, so let us know what environment you are building it in?
randystoppenhagen Posts 3 Registration date Thursday May 7, 2015 Status Member Last seen May 11, 2015
May 11, 2015 at 01:51 PM
We appreciate your assistance ac3mark,
When I had my friend look through everything, he got it to boot with the motherboard outside of the case. When he re-installed the motherboard inside the case, nothing. The power supply was installed inside the case during both tests, and yes it does have a 3 prong adapter.
We were working at a desk with a laminate type top. The floor is tile and we both had shoes on.
Brenda