Recovering data from Seagate External Hard Drive -No files shown

Closed
thelostrodent Posts 2 Registration date Friday May 8, 2015 Status Member Last seen May 8, 2015 - May 8, 2015 at 07:39 AM
thelostrodent Posts 2 Registration date Friday May 8, 2015 Status Member Last seen May 8, 2015 - May 8, 2015 at 11:59 AM
Hi Everybody, I'm new to this site but have a problem I hope someone can help me with.

I have an External Hard Drive from Seagate that used to work well, but at one point seemed to stop working, so I have left it alone for a while. I now tried to load it on Windows 8.1, and when I plugged it in, it installed the driver software.

On "My Computer" it shows the drive has about 200Gb free of 3tb, but when I try to explore the drive, it says "this folder is empty". The drive can be seen in Disk Management, where it is labelled as "Healthy (Primary Partition)", but cannot be seen by disk recovery programs like EaseUS.

My first guess was that the files were hidden, so I unchecked the relevant boxes hiding hidden files and also system files, but nothing.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. If there are any diagnostics you'd like me to run, I will do so.
Related:

1 response

Computertech Posts 3569 Registration date Friday February 6, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen July 18, 2016 892
May 8, 2015 at 07:46 AM
Hello thelostrodent,

Try this 1.

May be the files are in hidden mode.

Click on "Start" -->Run-->type cmd and click on OK.

Here I assume your external hard drive as G:

Enter this command.

attrib -h -r -s /s /d g:\*.*

You can copy the above command --> Right-click in the Command Prompt and

paste it.

Note : Don't forget to replace the letter g with your external hard drive letter.

Now press "Enter".

Now check for your files in external hard drive.

Good Luck.
thelostrodent Posts 2 Registration date Friday May 8, 2015 Status Member Last seen May 8, 2015
May 8, 2015 at 11:59 AM
Thank you very much for your suggestion Computertech, but I don't think this is the problem.From what I can read from other people in similar problems online, I think the Partition Table has been damaged.

When I tried to get it to work a few months ago, chkdsk was having serious problems trying to work on it, saying:"insufficient disk space to fix the usn journal", and at another point, I couldn't access the drive, saying:"D:\ is not accessible. The parameter is incorrect."

Thanks for any more help.