Downloaded Explorer 8 and now it won't open

Solved/Closed
dachmo - Mar 28, 2009 at 01:46 PM
 Elizabeth - Sep 14, 2011 at 11:25 AM
Hello,
I downloaded explorer 8 and now it will not open. I get a blank white screen and the Explorer message pop-up stating: "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close".

I have tried to restore my computer to an earilier date, but am having no success there either.

The porblem is not on the computer that I am writting this message on. You probably know that since I cannot access the internet on the computer I am having a problem with.
Can you help me?
Related:

42 responses

I had the same issue where I installed IE 8 and when I clicked Open or double clicked the icon I got the hourglass for a second and then nothing happened. I tried all the instructions to reset, etc. Nothing worked. I had System Mechanic 6 installed. Solution - I upgraded to System Mechanic 9 and installed it (which also uninstalled System mechanic 6). Internet Explorer 8 now opens fine.
Just upgrading system Mechanics solves the problem, or did you use system mechanic to solve the problem?
I had the same problem and could not get to run, I went to control panel and add and remove programs and then add or remove windows components. IE was not checked so I checked it and then it installed it and all seems to be fine.
I went nuts trying to get a shortcut for IE8 also. Finally, I did what I should have done first, I went into "default programs" and set Internet Explorer as my default browser, and a shortcut magically appeared. (Now I can go back in and make Firefox the default) Hope this helps !! DBL
Pretty much to make it work, because I have the same problem you right click on internet explorer, shortcut or which ever one you want and then click browse without add-ons. It works, I'm using it right now.

Good Luck.

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
I had a similar but slightly different problem. I had installed IE8 several times but I decided to wait until all the bugs were ironed out. I have WindowsXP SP3. I downloaded IE8 but the IE7 icon was not replaced with the IE8 icon.
I would click on the icon and it would flash and not open. I never got a blank screen or an error message. For all intents and purposes IE8 was downloaded and installed with no problem at all. But why wouldn't it open?
I figured it was because I had not uninstalled IE7 first. I went into add/remove Windows Componants and uninstalled IE7. Still the icon would not open the browser. I finally went into add/remove programs and removed IE8 completely. IE7 is not a bad browser. My email links do not open in Firefox. Maybe if I made Firefox my defauult browser the links in email might start opening in Firefox. When I play around too much I usually get into trouble. I think I will keep IE7 for email links and use Firefox for everything else.
This SAME thing happened to me and now I am stuck without my computer!! They should've put warnings out before you download it! I'm stuck as I can not do ANYTHING in my computer. I've tried factory restore but that for some reason is no longer an option on my computer (I had done it about 5 months ago). Have no clue and no money to fix it :(
Hi...I just had the same problem when I had the automatic update install IE8 and then I couldnt open the browser at all. An error post just kept coming up preventing from opening the browser. I'm no computer wizard but I did manage to do a system restore which removed it and then I went in and shut off automatic updates. Now, in order for me to get it to restore I had to press the F8 key while the screen was black as soon as I did a system restart....I then scrolled up to highlight run in safe mode and press enter...then I believe a screen came up somewhere asking if I want to do a restore and I clicked yes....the restore worked and after starting back up I was back to where things were good before all the problems started...hmmmm...thank god I had another computer and tried a combination of things I read about....only took me 2 day..hahahaha....good luck
Thanks for your comment MikeC but system restore didn't work for me. I think that I have deleted some
files which are preventing the full internet explorer from being downloaded. I think I can live without
IE for the time being!! Some programs automatically connect to IE in order to download but apart from those
I don't need it. Ikey
Just wanted to add that the only thing my computer will do is pop up after pop up about windows not working/windows restarting/windows encountered a problem...
I can not do anything!!
epsiman Posts 306 Registration date Tuesday November 18, 2008 Status Member Last seen February 2, 2010 162
Jan 20, 2010 at 04:26 PM
Hi,
First of all now you need to remove the previous version and then install the one that you have downloaded,this should work but if it don't ten re download the explorer from another site.
Hope that I helped you , see ya
Good try epsiman but it doesn't download from any site. I try to run IE rather than save it and then run it
because I think it's the 'self-extracting process' which doesn't work on my computer. I hope I'm making sense
as a few of these self-extracting programs don't seem to save properly on my computer - some file is missing
in my registry to cause this. I must have deleted something important. Ikey
uninstall and reinstall ie8. Make sure it is for your os (i.e 32 bit or 64bit). If it does not work use firefox. It's better and secure.
https://www.computerstar.ca/
what the hell is this
Mar 11, 2010 at 09:15 AM
why will registry mechanic not open from the icon on my desk top
Mayank Nikhar
Mar 24, 2010 at 02:47 PM
Try opening a HTML file. it will automatically open in ie. I sent such a file to my desktop, so that everytime I have to use ie I can just click on the file. Try it. It worked, atleast for me.
1. I have a dell xp. When I tried to remove the program internet 8 there was no remove option. This is what I did to remove it. and it was easy. Im not very good with computers so if I can do this so can you. 1. Click on start 2. GO to run. type this in the open window Cmd.exe%windir%\i\spuninst\spuninst.exe 3. then click on go. The rest is real easy GOOD LUCK!

THis is the web sight I found the answers to my problem at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/internet-explorer-help-23360e49-9cd3-4dda-ba52-705336cc0de2?ui=en-US&rs=en-001&ad=US#ALTWin5
my email email box doesn't open fully as before and contains limited items only .
What is the problem?
my email box does not open fully as before and contains only limited items only.
i have I mac I need internet explorer ,then I install it after I open it ,this is not opened.and just white page open.how can I open it ,can you tell me.thanks
It kept saying there is a problem and closing and reopening. I managed to get it to open in Private Browsing - downloaded Google Chrome and hasta la vista to IE8.
Hi,
I had the same problem with my browser for like 2 weeks...mostly cause I refused to call Microsoft and stay on the phone for two hours to halfway solve the problem. Anyway, my browser wouldn't open IE8...of course and said that it had encountered a problem and needed to close...after reading most of the posts I found my own solution to add. I couldn't uninstall IE8 through add/remove programs in the control panel. But in the control panel, if you go to "Internet Options" and then click on the Advanced tab at the top... at the bottom of that page it gives you the option to reset internet explorer settings to their default condition...click reset and then do the same on the next page that pops up...and it should work. HOpe that helps everyone who had had a question. If it fouls up again, I'll see if there is a better solution next time I write!
After getting a virus and cleaning up my computer, every time I would try to open up IE, I would get an error message that a connection could not be found. Luckily I had Firefox as a back-up and could browse the internet as usual. After being without IE for about a month, I decided to try and solve the problem. I read several suggestions on how to fix it, but none of them worked for me. When I went into my control panel to check my settings, I stumbled across something. This is what I did: control panel, security settings, internet options, advanced settings, reset internet explorer settings. I then was able to open up Internet Explorer 8 without any complications. I was just hoping this information would help someone else. :)
hi im using IE6 presently but whenever I download IE8 setup and try to upgrade it unable to upgrade
when I double click on internet explorer it will not open and it will creat short cut on every click