External HDD's NOT WORKING?!

Closed
NotTechsavvy Posts 1 Registration date Sunday 26 July 2015 Status Member Last seen 26 July 2015 - 26 Jul 2015 à 14:52
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday 1 September 2014 Status Member Last seen 20 February 2017   - 27 Jul 2015 à 03:15
I have two External hard drives both from deceased laptops, one of them is a Hitachi Travelstar

Model IC25N030ATMR04-0, The other one is stuck in a case. They have a usb adapter...

Whenever I plug them into my computer, (Win 8.1 Toshiba satellite i5 core) It takes atleast 5 seconds for it to do anything, it pops up in My computer as Removable Disk E but when I click it or don't do anything it will go almost transparent then disappear. It doesn't show up in disk management also, Could someone please explain to me how I can fix it, and if it's dead or dying how to get the data off of it. It has pictures from trips ETC

1 response

R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday 1 September 2014 Status Member Last seen 20 February 2017   155
27 Jul 2015 à 03:15
Hi NotTechsavvy,

As far as I understood you have some internal drives, which you use in external enclosures. Is that correct?
I would strongly recommend you to connect those drives internally, because those enclosures sometimes cause connectivity problems. Since you are using a laptop, search for SATA to USB cable. Changing the USB and trying on another PC may be helpful too. If there is no success, try to connect those drives in a desktop PC in order to backup your personal files.

Hope this helps