No HDD activity

Closed
Carlyn - Aug 28, 2015 at 05:49 AM
Boogieman_WD Posts 275 Registration date Friday October 10, 2014 Status Member Last seen October 19, 2016   - Aug 31, 2015 at 05:51 AM
Hello,
Having problems with a laptop, no HDD activity, no monitor response yet there's power to it and the fan works

Related:

1 response

Boogieman_WD Posts 275 Registration date Friday October 10, 2014 Status Member Last seen October 19, 2016   37
Aug 28, 2015 at 09:19 AM
Hey there Carlyn.

You should be able to boot to BIOS even if there's no working HDD connected to the computer. This might be something else, perhaps a motherboard issue. There's no way for me to be able to guess it, judging by the info I have now. If you think that it might be an HDD related issue, I'd recommend that you take it out of the laptop and connect it to a different computer, to see what's the situation with it. You can also download the HDD manufacturer's diagnostics tool to run the tests, to see if any errors pop up. If it turns out that the hard drive is OK, then I'd suggest that you take the laptop to a computer service shop for diagnostics.

Hope that helps.
Boogieman_WD

WD Representative
Well I've ordered a cheap as chips HDD, exactly the same one, I'm hoping it's just that that's at fault as I'm fixing for a friend, be my first attempt at laptop lol and I don't want to let them down as they paid for the parts I think need. I'm really hoping it's not the motherboard. HDD was my first thought though with the light not blinking and no noise coming from it
Boogieman_WD Posts 275 Registration date Friday October 10, 2014 Status Member Last seen October 19, 2016   37 > Carlyn
Aug 31, 2015 at 05:51 AM
Well if this is the case, it might be as simple as a failed SATA cable. It would have been better to try the drive with a different computer, in order to make sure that it really is causing the issue, before you've ordered a new one, if you're not certain. Hopefully it turns out that it's the HDD causing the problem. Please let me know how everything goes and keep me posted. Good luck!