External hard drive not showing up

Solved/Closed
Claude - Sep 14, 2015 at 12:15 AM
 Claude - Sep 15, 2015 at 01:40 AM
Hello,

i removed hard disk from one of my old laptop which is Accer and I brought a case for it and made it external so that I can connect to may other laptop win 7 32 bit,

but when I plug it through the USB cable I get a message your device is successfully installed and ready to use. but when I open MY COMPUTERS its those show me anything of the hard disk.
Related:

3 responses

i had tried on my friends laptop and it seems to work fine. but when I plug it to my laptop I cant see anything.

First I thought my drivers were missing but when I use a pen drive its working absolutely fine.

Only thing is that when I connect my hard drive it says "device ready to use"But at the end its not showing me anything.

thank you,
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Sep 14, 2015 at 03:18 AM
The "device is ready to use" message shows that the device has been recognized and drivers have been installed successfully. It is really important to check what the situation in Disk Management. Open the Start Menu and right click on Computer. Select Manage. On the screen you should see the Disk Management, where are listed all the storage devices connected to the PC. Is the external hard drive listed there? It may be listed, but without a drive letter. You can try to assign one, if you right click the drive. Is the assign letter option active or it is greyed out? If you have important data on the drive, do not try to initialize or format it, because this way you will delete your data.
Ok I will try it out
Hello,

thank you, finally I got this issue solved. I put the hard drive online in the disk management.

thank you.
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Sep 14, 2015 at 02:31 AM
Hi Claude,

Could you tell me the model of the drive? Right now the drive not listed in My Computer? Search for it in Disk Management. Check if it has a drive letter. If it does not have, try to assign one. Do you have valuable data on the drive? If you do not have, try to format/initialize the drive. The device should be installed and visible in Disk Management. You may try to uninstall it, restart the PC and plug the device back in.

Hope this helps