Hard drive appears then disapear under disk drives (device manag

Closed
Mousdewaga - Nov 10, 2015 at 10:33 PM
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   - Nov 12, 2015 at 03:22 AM
Hello,

I am trying to access an old hard drive through USB and this is what i am getting. the HDD seems to be detected in windows and then nothing shows under disk management or computer. I tried testdisk and the drive didn't show up. So i went under device manager and "show hidden device" and there it was under disk drives but grayed out.. I unplugged the usb and uninstalled the grayed out disk. after plugging the hard drive as in the beginning windows detects it and then i see the drive appear in black and then few sec after it grays out(hidden). in the properties of the device it shows "Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45)" even though it showed for a few sec.
I tried different usb port same thing happens
Did anyone experience anything like that ?
any solution ?
there is no clicking sound in the hard drive it seems to sound normal when i plug it in
Related:

1 response

R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Nov 11, 2015 at 06:36 AM
Hi Mousdewaga,

Is this an external drive or an internal in an enclosure? Have you checked the drive on another PC and with another USB cable? I strongly recommend you to do it, because it looks like a connectivity issue. Do you have important data on the drive?

Hope this helps

It was an internal HD with win 10 an I got the black screen so I bought. And external enclosure to try to get my data and nothing. I already tried it on 2 pc and same result
Another external HD works. What else can I try
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155 > mousdewaga
Nov 11, 2015 at 10:15 AM
What happens when you connect the drive on another PC using a SATA cable? If it is missing from BIOS, there might be some problem with the drive, which cannot be resolved by changing the connection. The issue may be coming from the SATA port. There is a chance to be repaired but you need to consult a technician.
mousdewaga > R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017  
Nov 11, 2015 at 10:40 AM
I tried using sata before getting to use it as external and it shows in bios but in Windows nothing shows up. I tried it on 2 different pc and same result whether I use it as internal or external. Any other thoughts on how I can diagnose it ?
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155 > mousdewaga
Nov 12, 2015 at 03:22 AM
Usually, you should try using the drive manufacturer's diagnostic tool. You may be able to find it on the manufacturer's web page. Sadly, if the drive does not appear and does not have a drive letter, it may not be possible to test it. However, I would try. I would recommend you to use those commands from Command Prompt:

Diskpart
List disk

Is the drive listed there?