My laptop won't boot windows but will still turn on?

Closed
roofcat Posts 2 Registration date Monday December 28, 2015 Status Member Last seen December 30, 2015 - Dec 28, 2015 at 07:43 PM
KY_WD Posts 2053 Registration date Thursday October 23, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 28, 2017   - Dec 31, 2015 at 08:39 AM
Hello. My laptop is a HP Pavillion dv7 running Windows 7. I've had it for about two years now and it's run without any problems except for the fact that it's hard to get it to charge sometimes. A few days ago I had tried to boot it up after a required disk check and it refused to. I checked the power cord and it was plugged in and the charging light was on as well as the power light. All it would do is make the sound that it does usually (which I'm pretty positive is the disk booting up) and beep twice. It has never done this before until a couple days ago. I've let it do this for about an hour until I gave up and turned it back off. I was not really paying attention to the computer during the disk check so I don't know what exactly happened leading up to this. Help please.
Related:

1 response

KY_WD Posts 2053 Registration date Thursday October 23, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 28, 2017   122
Dec 30, 2015 at 11:18 AM
Hello roofcat,

In situations like this it's recommended connecting the laptop to an external monitor to see will there be any video signal going out from the laptop. If it does go out, then there's a need for LCD inverter replacement. If there's nothing showing either on external monitor nor display, but the fans are still working, the problem that you have may be due to the failure of the video chip. Sometimes, after much of a use and less cooling the graphics processor which is responsible for video signal transmission get unsolders, the thermic paste goes away and it gets unsoldered, therefore the screen doesn't show anything. If you possess knowledge of notebooks' hardware you can change the paste yourself by opening the laptop and check if the chipset that is next to the processor has got unsoldered or you can bring your laptop to a technician to get it soldered again.

Hope that helps.
roofcat Posts 2 Registration date Monday December 28, 2015 Status Member Last seen December 30, 2015
Dec 30, 2015 at 04:11 PM
I am quite positive that it is not the video that has been the problem. There is no output when I connect my laptop to another monitor but the computer runs on and on and keeps beeping as if there is a problem with it started up. I also have a fan platform that attaches to the bottom of my laptop so overheating should not be a factor.
KY_WD Posts 2053 Registration date Thursday October 23, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 28, 2017   122 > roofcat Posts 2 Registration date Monday December 28, 2015 Status Member Last seen December 30, 2015
Dec 31, 2015 at 08:39 AM
Hello again,

If you get unusual beeps probably the problem is hiding within the motherboard. You could clear the CMOS battery for a couple of minutes. Detach the battery and the power cable and take out the CMOS battery from the bay in order the electricity to discharge.

Hope this helps. Happy holidays.