July 21, 2014
-
Registration date
Monday February 1, 2010
Status
Last seen
September 1, 2021
-
I have a 4-year old toshiba,bought it used and it worked well til a couple of weeks ago. I used to get occasionally the message, check your cable connection, no bootable device, insert a bootable device and press any key. Now that message comes up all the time and since yesterday, I can't even get passed bringing the computer up. Tried to press the F8 key to reset, but now the message even comes up in that window. I never got a bootable CD. Can this computer be saved? Thanks to anyone who is willing to answer me. Erika

4 replies

Hello,

i hope you have a backup of your data because it sounds like your hard drive has failed.

If you can get into the BIOS (F2 or DEL) - You may see the hard disk displayed in there.

if there is no hard disk then it has failed.

i would recommend taking it to a local computer shop who will take out the hard drive and try to read the data from it.

if you can get a new hard drive and swap it with the one thats in there, then reinstall Windows you'll be set. don't let them con you and tell you your laptop is broken.
Registration date
Monday February 1, 2010
Status
Last seen
September 1, 2021
Registration date
Monday July 21, 2014
Status
Last seen
July 21, 2014

I can't believe how quickly the answers came. Thank you so much. I managed to get to the bios?, next to HHD it said:none, I guess that is what you mean by having failed? I am hesitant to invest a lot of money at this point, maybe with a new hard drive it will be worth it. Again, thank you so much, to have gotten this answer I would have had to commit 99.95 from some Tech support who claims they are cheaper than others. Erika
Blocked Profile
Please be aware that you will need Windows installation media and a key in order to install Windows. you could try calling Toshiba and asking them if they have recovery CDs to tell you?
Registration date
Monday February 1, 2010
Status
Last seen
September 1, 2021
If you look through this forum, Toshiba has been a pain for the majority of laptop owners. I wonder if a new lappy would not be worthed instead of investing time and money into this one. What else will you find wrong with it even after a disk replacement?