Hard drive not showing up

Closed
nasgalii - Jun 1, 2016 at 10:18 PM
Boogieman_WD Posts 275 Registration date Friday October 10, 2014 Status Member Last seen October 19, 2016   - Jun 2, 2016 at 05:06 AM
Hello, I placed my sata 3.5 in a external enclosure. hdd starts up but no show in device mgmt or disk management. I used this as a storage on another computer but the replacement computer only allows one sata HDD

Related:

2 responses

Computertech Posts 3569 Registration date Friday February 6, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen July 18, 2016 892
Jun 2, 2016 at 01:35 AM
I have some questions for you.

I placed my sata 3.5 in a external enclosure.

Whether it looks similar to one shown here?

hdd starts up but no show in device mgmt or disk management.

You mean that you connecting this hard disk as secondary one in another pc?

I used this as a storage on another computer but the replacement computer only allows one sata HDD

Does the replacement pc have only one SATA connection if yes whether it have PATA/IDE connection?
Boogieman_WD Posts 275 Registration date Friday October 10, 2014 Status Member Last seen October 19, 2016   37
Jun 2, 2016 at 05:06 AM
Hey there, nasgalii.

Go ahead with the answer to Computertech's questions as those can provide important info about the issue. In the meantime you could try the drive with a different computer if you have that option (besides the one it came from) by connecting it either externally or internally to make sure that it works properly. Also a 3.5" drive needs to externally powered since USB ports can't provide enough power, even if you are using a Y cable. You can also check if the enclosure supports the drive's capacity (some enclosures have limitations and this could cause such a problem with larger drives). Another thing you can do is to check if the enclosure manufacturer's website for drivers you might need for their device.

Hope that helps. Please keep us posted.
Boogieman_WD