Massive USB failure

Closed
stinkles Posts 1 Registration date Sunday April 26, 2009 Status Member Last seen April 27, 2009 - Apr 27, 2009 at 12:10 AM
 I phone frustie - May 18, 2009 at 05:16 AM
Hello,
Basically nothing plugged into my USB ports work. That isn't to say my USB ports are broken, the computer knows that something is plugged in (the option to safely remove is there whenever something is plugged in). I have lurked countless threads and forums searching for an answer to fix my problem. My iPod, usb flash drives, even my printer no longer work with my laptop.

So far i have tried uninstalling the USB hub roots and reinstalling them. I have also checked in device manager to make sure that this problem isn't simply due to a drive name not being assigned. When i checked in device manager with something plugged into my usb port, nothing shows up. I made sure to check disk manager as well, but nothing shows up in there either. And of course nothing shows up in My Computer. Plug and play is enabled so I can't for the life of me understand why nothing is working. Its extra frustrating because the computer gives me the option to safely remove but thats it. I can't access anything plugged in (flash drive) or update it (iPod).

The ipod when plugged in does show up on my itunes, but it doesn't show up under its name (Dinopod) Instead it is an unamed device. Also when it has shown up on my itunes, itunes says it is corrupt/ needs to be reformatted. This is odd because when my iPod is plugged into another computer it shows up as Dinopod, completely uncorrupt and a reformat is unrequired.

This whole ordeal has been very troublesome. I'd be eternally grateful to anyone that can help me fix this.
Related:

2 responses

phdhopes Posts 21 Registration date Wednesday September 17, 2008 Status Member Last seen May 11, 2009 2
Apr 27, 2009 at 03:51 AM
hi,
try to update the firmware of your laptop.
hope this solves your problem.
I phone frustie
May 18, 2009 at 05:16 AM
I 've the same problem. Figured out that when deinstalling I-tunes all USB ports work again. it seems that I-tunes identifies the USB ports as older versions than 2.0. Conclusion to me is that the problem is within Itunes. I can't find anything to fix this problem at the apple Support website.