Memory configurations

Closed
BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday 17 January 2015 Status Contributor Last seen 30 September 2021 - 6 Jul 2016 à 09:02
BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday 17 January 2015 Status Contributor Last seen 30 September 2021 - 6 Jul 2016 à 17:40
Hello people,

Its a long time since I came here last, but I know you are all just as willing to help an old fuddy-duddy as you have always been.

I have a memory configuration question. I want to upgrade my laptops memory. Its a Fujitsu LifeBook AH530, but I dont think that matters for this question. It has two DDR3 memory slots. one is occupied with 4GB stick. I know generally the more memory the better, but will I suffer a performance hit if I add a 2GB stick to the spare slot (assuming the memory speeds are the same)? If I would suffer, then would I be better off having two sticks of 2GB rather than a 4GB + 2GB configuration.

I realize the best thing would be to buy some, but with limited funds and a spare stick of memory then I thought Id ask.

I also know that the speed might be affected by the speed of the slowest stick installed. More memory = a faster machine, but stick with slower speed memory installed = a slower machine (possibly). Is there a general formula that will tell me the performance gained by the mixing of speeds and size?

Thank you in advance for your help.

1 response

xpcman Posts 19528 Registration date Wednesday 8 October 2008 Status Contributor Last seen 15 June 2019 1,824
6 Jul 2016 à 14:58
You will probably not notice the difference between 4 GB and 6 GB.
BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday 17 January 2015 Status Contributor Last seen 30 September 2021 149
6 Jul 2016 à 17:40
Thanks xpcman.

That may be right - especially with the use I put my computer to, but it would be nice to know what is best and fastest. Always seek the best but expect the worst.