Possible to get files from an old desktop that powers on no sign

Closed
Ysgokc52 Posts 1 Registration date Monday October 10, 2016 Status Member Last seen October 10, 2016 - Oct 10, 2016 at 08:17 PM
Boogieman_WD Posts 275 Registration date Friday October 10, 2014 Status Member Last seen October 19, 2016   - Oct 11, 2016 at 03:01 AM
HELLO I HAVE AN OLD DELL DESKTOP THAT HAS SOME FILES I'D LIKE TO RETRIEVE IF POSSIBLE. THING IS, I TURNED IT ON IT POWERS ON BUT I USE TO RUN THE VGA CORD TO MY FLAT SCREEN BUT IT WON'T RECEIVE A SIGNAL NOW. HAVEN'T USED IT IN SOME YEARS IT'S OLD, GOT A MORE UP TO DATE PC AND WAS TRYING TO USE AN ETHERNET CORD TO SYNC AND GET MY FILES. IS THIS POSSIBLE WITHOUT BEING ABLE TO ACCESS THE FILES OPENING MY OLDER COMPUTER???? PLEASE HELP LOL
Related:

1 response

Boogieman_WD Posts 275 Registration date Friday October 10, 2014 Status Member Last seen October 19, 2016   37
Oct 11, 2016 at 03:01 AM
Hey there, Ysgokc52.

I guess it would be a lot easier to get to your files if you take the drive out of the computer and connect it to your newer one, so that you can access it as a regular storage drive or as an external HDD (depending on the connection you've used). Speaking of that, I don't know how old your drive is so you'd have to see if it's a PATA (IDE) or SATA HDD. If it's a SATA HDD, you should be able to connect it internally and try accessing it as a normal drive. Another option would be to connect it externally via a SATA to USB adapter, external enclosure, or a docking station. If the drive is PATA (IDE), most likely your motherboard won't have that kind of port (because it's pretty old) and you'd have to use external connection, such as PATA/IDE to USB adapter.

Hope that helps. Please let me know how it goes.
Boogieman_WD

WD Representative