WD my passport 2TB external drive not detected

Closed
Al - Nov 20, 2016 at 07:07 AM
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   - Nov 21, 2016 at 03:04 AM
Hello,

Need help with my WD passport not being recognized or detected by my laptop (Win7pro, 64 bit). It is cannot be seen on devices manager under disk drives and universal serial bus controllers (no yellow triangle).
Related:

3 responses

R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Nov 21, 2016 at 03:04 AM
Hi AI,

There is no compatibility issue between DELL PCs and WD drives. You external drive should work on your laptop, since it is working when connected to desktop PC. Testing the drive on several PCs was a good idea. So, there is no sign of the drive in Disk Management and in Device Manager? If so, run the Command Prompt and type the following:
Diskpart
List disk

Is the drive listed there? If it is not, you may need to update your PC’s USB drivers from the web page of the motherboard manufacturer. Please make sure that you have installed all the latest Windows updates. The problem may be OS related. Please check the official WD knowledge base for more details about driver updates.
http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=CzSCmR

Please, let me know if there is any progress.

Hope this helps

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Nov 20, 2016 at 01:31 PM
First you need to try the device on another computer. Failure on more than one computer is a sign that you have a hardware problem. You might try another cable in that case.

Good Luck
Hi xpcman. It works on my desktop and my TV except on my Dell laptop so I dont think its a hardware problem or the cable. I also tried my other external hard drive of different brand on the Dell laptop and it works fine. Do you think there's compatibility issue between between WD mypassport and Dell?