At WWDC 2023, Apple revealed how the new iPadOS version will look now and in the near future. There are some big changes, including the new Lock Screen customization, interactive widgets, Safari personalization options, PDF document extended functionalities, and so much more. In this article, we explore the main iPadOS 17 features.
What's new in iPad OS 17?
With every iPad OS version comes new updates and features. However, iPad OS 17 seems to really make a huge step toward the future of technology. "iPadOS powers our most versatile device and enables users to do so many things on iPad, and now with iPadOS 17, we deliver an experience that's even more personal and capable. With interactive widgets on the Lock Screen, updates to PDFs and Notes, as well as enhancements to Messages and FaceTime, iPadOS gives users even more ways to get things done easier and faster than ever", said Craig Federighi, Apple's senior vice president of Software Engineering. Truly, there are some big changes in iPadOS 17 that can facilitate our lives. Here are the most important updates and new features of iPad OS 17.
- A personalized Lock Screen: The new iPad OS 17 Lock Screen allows more personalization tools, such as the new ability to select a set of photos for the Lock Screen and make them shuffle throughout the day or use a Live Photo for the Lock Screen for a slow-motion effect. Users can now also select font styles and colors to customize the look of the date and time, use emoji, and mix colors. Another cool thing about the new Lock Screen personalization is that users can now stay up to date with things happening in real-time, such as food delivery orders, sports games, news, etc., thanks to the possibility of seeing Live Activities on the Lock Screen.
- Interactive Widgets: With iPadOS 17, users can turn off the lights, or play a song, for example, right at the moment without unlocking the screen, thanks to interactive widgets.
- New PDF experience in Notes: iPadOS 17 uses machine learning to help you work with PDF documents. From now on, users can quickly edit PDF files, add details, contacts, and more thanks to the identification of the fields to fill in. The Autofill option also comes in handy, extending this feature. With the Notes app, users can also organize, annotate, and collaborate in real-time on PDFs, opening the files in full width.
- Interactive Messages: Now you can send stickers, live stickers from your own photos, add effects and filters to make the chat more fun. Audio messages get transcribed automatically so you can read them before you have a moment to listen to them.
- FaceTime video and audio messages: Another cool thing about Facetime is that users can now leave an audio or video message to someone when they don't pick up the call. Also, you can now use reactions and additional effects while you are on the call.
- Safari improvements: Safari helps its users to be more productive by dividing their browsing activity between work and personal. Each profile has its own 'life': group tabs, favorites, etc. This segregation makes it easier to get focused while working and not think of work during your free time. Private browsing also gets an update that users can now lock their private windows with Face or Touch ID.
The Health app: From now on, users can see their health data on their iPad, managing their medications, cycles, mental health, and more.
When will iPad OS 17 be available?
iPad OS 17 was announced on the 5th of June 2023, during WWDC, and it is already available to Apple Developer Program members as the developer beta. The public beta will be available to iPad users in July 2023. The new software features will be available this fall to everyone as a free update.
Which iPads will be compatible with iPadOS 17?
- iPad (6th generation and later),
- iPad mini (5th generation and later),
- iPad Air (3rd generation and later), 12.9-inch iPad Pro (2nd generation and later), 10.5-inch iPad Pro, and 11-inch iPad Pro (1st generation and later).