Ask a question Report

Dell laptop HDMI-to-HDTV won't work [Solved/Closed]

Ahab - Latest answer on Jan 10, 2013 09:11AM
Hello,
I have a Dell Studio 1737 laptop with an HDMI port. I'm trying to connect it to a 42" Vizio HDTV (brand new). It's worked once, but that's it. Not again. I connect the HDMI cable to the TV and it just says "No Signal!"
Please help!
Read more 
Answer
+39
moins plus
I had this same problem. Took me a while but I figured it out. Right click on desktop and select "Personalize". Next click on "Display". You should see "connect to a projector" on the left. Select it then select duplicate. Its that simple.

Star Doyle- Nov 16, 2012 05:48PM
didnt work for me:(
automedik.cz- Nov 18, 2012 10:59AM
YEEEEESSS I got it .... I have same problem ...... no signal, tv(monitor) was black ........ yoy must shake with hdmi connector on laptop (xps dell) ......uf
Curt- Dec 31, 2012 11:18PM
Most laptops have a button with the "Fn" key that will do the same. Of course there is always Windows Key + P as stated above.
kb- Jan 3, 2013 06:12PM
yes shake cable on computer
Jack- Jan 10, 2013 09:11AM
go device manager update , VGA CARD , CHIPSET then it will work !! i guarantee

if any question please e mail me to ask deleted@gmail.
Answer
+13
moins plus
hi there,

go to display properties

and enable 2nd output display

Thanks

Answer
+6
moins plus
I had that same issue...update the video card driver.

Answer
+4
moins plus
After selecting video input connection type (hdmi) on hd tv, try right clicking on desktop and go to graphics options. Select desktop plus hd tv or just hd tv. This works with Dell Studio 1555 and Sony Bravia hd tv using the hdmi inputs.

helpful- Sep 26, 2010 12:12PM
FYI I subscribe to Netflix streaming video and use my laptop and internet connection to watch movies on my big Sony HDTV as well as the internet using a wireless mouse and keyboard. The laptop (Dell) has HDMI ouyput and Windows 7 with the magnifier function which allows me to see the HDTV from at least 17 ft. I connect with a short HDMI cable and leave the laptop near the HDTV. I guess I could run a long HDMI cable and put the labtop near me. I presume others use other methods and devices such as described at the Netflix site. See above with helpful.
LaRK- Nov 30, 2012 12:10AM
This didn't fix my problem and it gave me an additional problem. I did this:
right click desktop > Graphics Options > Output To > HDTV.
Result was: My laptop screen went completely black, but TV still says, "No signal".
Now the only way to see anything on my laptop is if I disconnect the HDMI cable.
To make matters worse, NOW when I right click my desktop again and select Graphics Options, there is no more "Output To" option on the menu, so I don't see a way to un-do what I just did.
This document entitled « Dell laptop HDMI-to-HDTV won't work » from CCM (ccm.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.