Hooking up TV with external monitor [Solved/Closed]

MochaMike 2 Posts Thursday June 27, 2013Registration date June 27, 2013 Last seen - Jun 27, 2013 at 01:28 PM - Latest reply: Zohaib R 2421 Posts Sunday September 23, 2012Registration date July 16, 2018 Last seen
- Jun 28, 2013 at 08:27 AM
I have already used the VGA connection for an external connection to a larger monitor for my laptop(DELL Latitude E6400). I have an HDMI connection on the laptop which needed an adapter and an HDMI cable which I've hooked to my TV - RCA. However, I cannot get the TV to work. I followed all the instructions in this forum and they work for the laptop's own monitor and the external monitor I've hooked up, but can I hook up yet a third - the TV? I'm really only using it for Netflix, so should I simply get a cheapie older PSI, Xbox or????

Your help is most appreciated.
See more 

5 replies

ac3mark 9956 Posts Monday June 3, 2013Registration dateContributorStatus July 18, 2018 Last seen - Jun 27, 2013 at 01:38 PM
Thank you
Good Afternoon.

So, let me understand. The HDMI works never? HOW many HDMI ports does your tv have? If you turn off the tv, and the laptop, plug them into together via HDMI, turn on tv, then laptop what happens?

Does any other HDMI device work in the same TV port?

Remember, HDMI is not a a standard. So, in othe words, not all manufacturers play in the same sand box when it comes to agreeing on how HDMI will actually work.

Have Fun!
MochaMike 2 Posts Thursday June 27, 2013Registration date June 27, 2013 Last seen - Jun 27, 2013 at 02:59 PM
The TV has three HDMI ports.
I have not tried the turn off/turn on option you mentioned...so I'll try that after this reply and advise.
Don't know about any other HDMI device..I don't have one!
Thx...and get back to you soon.
Zohaib R 2421 Posts Sunday September 23, 2012Registration date July 16, 2018 Last seen - Jun 28, 2013 at 03:08 AM
Thank you
Hi MochaMike,

Latitude E6400 does not have HDMI port; it is a "DisplayPort". Please use a "Display Port to HDMI" cable. Click here to see image of one such cable. Moreover, you cannot configure multiple displays without an adapter like "Matrox DualHead2Go Digital SE external multi-display adapter" or a similar adapter. You can know more about this from here.

Please revert for clarification.

To know more about Dell's products, services and drivers & downloads, please go to http://dell.to/YBlak6
Thanks Z..you are right about the HDMI which is why I used an adapter. And what you say about "you cannot configure multiple displays without an adapter"..is exactly what I suspected...so I'm going o just grab a Wii and hook it up directly....gives me the separate/remote option too..
Thanks for your help.
Zohaib R 2421 Posts Sunday September 23, 2012Registration date July 16, 2018 Last seen - Jun 28, 2013 at 08:27 AM
Thank you
Hi MochaMike,

Please keep us posted about the results. If you need any further assistance, please feel free to contact us.

To know more about Dell's products, services and drivers & downloads, please go tohttp://dell.to/YBlak6