Ask a question Report

Windows 7 Install - Cannot Find DVD Driver [Solved/Closed]

DaParson - Latest answer on Jun 29, 2013 08:29AM
Hello,
Started a Windows 7 - fresh install - on a Gateway Quad Core Intel Computer - Presently Running Vista 32. All goes well - but then message comes up, "Cannot find DVD Driver" - with a Browse and Rescan Option. I exhausted all searches Harddrive - do not have a DVD Driver Disc - what are my options? Other than to buy a new DVD/CD Drive that is Windows 7 Compatible. DVD Drive was fine in Vista 32. Help?
Read more 
Answer
+170
moins plus
After reading many threads in many places and trying just about everything I saw (removed HW until almost nothing left, reduced BIOS settings to minimal items, good quality ISO burn, booth from USB, etc.), I was finally able to resolve the problem on my system and it had nothing to do with the DVD drive/drivers at all (I had even removed all IDE components), it was the SATA drivers for the MoBo.

On another PC (obviously), I downloaded the latest Win7 drivers for my motherboard and put them on the USB stick that I was installing Win7 from (although this should probably work even if you install from DVD, just as long as you can get to them when you Browse from the error dialog). Once I got the error, I browsed to the files to install, but they still didn't show up. I unchecked the box for not displaying incompatible drivers and then they showed up. I selected the driver and hit Next and everything went smoothly after that.

What drives me crazy is that the error message gets you looking for DVD drivers when it has nothing to do with that, plus Win7 doesn't even recognize the correct drivers as being compatible with the hardware!

Anyway, after several days wasted at least my system is up and running finally. Hopefully this will help resolve the problem for others as well and save them from wasting as much time. Good luck!

yongkis- Apr 4, 2013 10:16AM
thx you
Kazuto- Apr 12, 2013 08:19AM
@bicikli
Thank you so Much! ^_^
It Perfectly work 4 me!!!
JCbrokencomputerplzhelp- May 8, 2013 09:15PM
what if your using a disk? how do i fix it then?
m- May 9, 2013 07:41PM
doesnt work for me. still same error.
non- May 19, 2013 11:16PM
mine is working after change the usb for win7 from usb 3.0 to usb 2.0
Answer
+16
moins plus
hi
try 2 install win 7 from usb flash memory by using |Windows7-USB-DVD-tool| relased By Microsoft

Answer
+14
moins plus
use dvd+r, or +r DL ......i dunno why but this has solved my problem.....dvd-r doesn't burn right

Answer
+10
moins plus
To fix the problem that dvd drives are not recognized in Windows 7 permanently do the following:
1. Press Windows R, type regedit and press enter.

2. Open the Registry key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

3. In the right pane, right-click UpperFilters, and then click Delete.

4. Click Yes to confirm the removal of the UpperFilters registry entry.

5. In the right pane, right-click LowerFilters, and then click Delete.

6. Click Yes to confirm the removal of the LowerFilters registry entry.

7. Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.

If you need more assistance on this, contact http://www.247techies.com/ for immediate Microsoft tech support

AmTrllll- Jun 29, 2010 09:34AM
I read about this method in the official magazine of Microsoft but didn't work for me. It crashed my laptop. And can't find UpperFilters and LowerFIlters both together.
Doreen- Nov 9, 2012 04:46AM
Hi Mike,
Thank you so much for this info, It has fixed my problem-- I have my dvd shown --- so I have it back. I am a 69 years young and thought I could not do this but followed your instructions.

Once again thank you so much.

Regards
Paulo- Feb 1, 2013 05:49AM
Your procedure works fine ! Thank you for share your knowledge with us.
Paulo _ Brazil
KG- Feb 8, 2013 03:48PM
thanks, This worked. I have this problem on a Lenovo laptop and a Dell Studio desktop,\. The Lenovo is working and now I'll try it on the Dell. Must have been the last win7 update I'm guessing.
asilver8- Jun 5, 2013 10:41PM
Frikkin AWESOME!!! Thank You Very Much!!!! Saved my computer and worked perfectly. Now I can retrieve my Samsung & Sony & LG DVD drives from the recycle bag : ) All the best.
Answer
+7
moins plus
I dealt with Microsoft on this and they had no clue. I agreed to help and we spent three days one hour here and there trying all sorts of things like BIOS settings among other various fix it applications through Windows.

What I told them and is true with most of you I bet, keep rebooting the PC and pressing any key. Eventually you will get a proper boot of the install disc. I know because I have done this twice, if you try 5, 6 or more times in a row eventually you will get the disc to run.

A Side note: If you want to reformat like I do you have to get the disc to load on bootup. I did get the disc to run twice while the OS was running but when I got to the install on which partition part I will use they would not let me reformat. The Advanced button simply was not there.

If you reboot your PC over and over I bet you get it to run. This is not ideal but I am sure Microsoft is working on it as they told me so after helping them. It is a temporary workaround if you need. Good Luck.

Chinavet- Nov 28, 2009 06:59PM
Hey Yoda....I seem to have the same issues. Kept rebooting just out of frustration, expecting nothing, then hey...a reboot!
vmozara- Dec 21, 2009 06:16AM
i thought it is stupid idea but after 4 reboots, cd dvd driver message did not apper and windows are installing at this moment. hopefully there will be no more problems during the instalation. I would go crazy without your solution, thanks!!!
AmTrllll- Jun 29, 2010 09:28AM
Did the same thing. Rebooted a few times. Still didn't work. So, I switched my laptop off. Removed the power cord from the wall socket and waited 1 minute. Then it found my DVD drive and I'm able to format my laptop. By the way my laptop is 1 week old. Came with Windows 7, everything is fully compatible but still Windows 7 messes with my DVD like all you guys. When Microsoft launches a new OS it always have bugs and then the work on Service Packs which we need to download. Thanks for the comments anyways.
Answer
+5
moins plus
Have successfully used option 2:

http://capitalhead.com/...

good luck.

new user- Dec 29, 2009 09:08AM
Thanks, guy. I resolved my problem. Thank you very much.
JustaGeek- Apr 1, 2013 02:56PM
Thanks so much. The second method fixed me right up. Tip of the hat to you...
Answer
+5
moins plus
I had the very same problem and the solution is:

1,You have a limited chipset on your motherboard that can not address/remap 4GB of ram properly what you have to do is remove one of the memory sticks and install windows using just 2GB.

2,Or if your chipset/bios supports it enable memory hole remapping in bios setup.

Yes I know its has nothing to do with a DVD drive but trust me this works if it was a faulty cable the disc wouldn't have booted to begin with

I was running 4GB of ram on an AMD 480X Chipset this is one of those limited chipsets

Intel also has chipsets that cause the same problem.

JoeSchmoe- Feb 7, 2010 01:26PM
Tried your first solution Rick. It's a no go on my Intel G41 chipset.
Answer
+5
moins plus
I was having the same problem using an old emachine case and the original DVD drive, but the board is new, so I took out the dvd drive and replaced it with a different (newer) one and the install of win 7 went perfectly! Hope this helps.

Answer
+2
moins plus
I'm trying to install Windows 7 64-Bit on a HP Workstation, XW9300 and the system does not recognize the DVD disk as a bootable disc. I can install XP 64-BIT no problem, if this is a BIOS issue how do I resolve? Anybody help!

S- Nov 2, 2009 11:14PM
I have Asus g50v, windows 7 32bit When installing with my language russian i have this problem. with my language english all functions well work
Answer
+2
moins plus
I encountered this problem when installing Windows 7 x64 on VMWare, and found some suggestions that the problem might be from a bad disc burn, so I tried to install directly from the ISO image, and true enough, this time it installed successfully.

Answer
+2
moins plus
Azam Jauhari Apr 19, 2010 8:05am BST
I encountered this problem when installing Windows 7 x64 on VMWare, and found some suggestions that the problem might be from a bad disc burn, so I tried to install directly from the ISO image, and true enough, this time it installed successfully

Just as stated above....use alcohol120 and run the win7 setup from the ISO itself. :) IT WORKS!!!!!!

Answer
+2
moins plus
A simple fix, make sure you have less then 3gbs of ram in your comp during install. I tested with 4 gbs got the cd/dvd driver msg, then tested with 2 gbs worked fine. Tested again with 6 gbs and failed. Hope this may help some people. worked for me.

Passer By- Dec 22, 2012 06:12PM
tried removing 2 of my 4 gbs of ram - no difference. so far, only repeated retries have worked for me - have been struggling sith this a few times since release of win7, still havent found a solution - i keep fiddling with it based on searches and eventually i get there.
Answer
+1
moins plus
Hi am having the same problem but am using a flash drive to boot any solution on this am usein asus notebook i really need help with this problem

Answer
+0
moins plus
hahah

Just check your Cd/dvd drive if jumper is set to Master or Slave . And work

if it not set to Master or Slave installer not work!!!

Answer
+0
moins plus
Answer
moins plus
hi there,

open your cpu

and change the ide cable

or in bios check if its detected or not

Thanks

Answer
moins plus
guys, you should just get a original copy or at least make a decent burn :)

AmTrllll- Jun 29, 2010 09:32AM
I have the original and the problem is here.
mira- Jul 13, 2010 08:54AM
i used a genuin Windows 7 disc and have the same problem - Asus X5DIN notebook. I was advised to go to BIOS and change to manifacture settings. As i am not that good at technical stuff i am not sure what this is going to do for me. Will do some more reading on the net before attempting this
x- Nov 30, 2012 12:49PM
FWIW I solved this problem by mounting iso with mac Disk Utility so it looks like a hard drive.
Ldg- Mar 15, 2013 01:29PM
Don't use USB 3.0 ports use old USB ports worked for me!
b3wii- Jun 29, 2013 08:29AM
thnx 2 Shadowspawn!

In my case it was not the "motherboard driver" BUT the chipset driver !
This document entitled « Windows 7 Install - Cannot Find DVD Driver » from CCM (ccm.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.