Ask a question Report

Windows XP won't load and safe mode freezes! [Closed]

phyresoul - Latest answer on Feb 6, 2011 09:18PM
Hello,
A few days ago my Dell Inspiron 5150 laptop got infected with some spyware (worm.win32.netsky) and some other virus and after running my spybot, antivirus programs, ad-aware, etc. I rebooted. However, after this reboot the Dell screen shows and then it just stops on a black screen and windows xp never loads. I am able to get into the F8 advanced options menu but I am not able to use last known good configuration and when I try to use safe mode or even safe mode with command prompt the next screen starts loading but stops with the line:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\f joth jhx.sys
and I can't get into windows even in safe mode. I have a lot of important files that I need to access and I've tried booting from the Windows XP disc and tried a repair install, but the option to repair was not listed. I'm not sure where the error is and if it's a registry error if there is any way to repair it. At the very least I just need access to my data and then I'm fine reformatting from the beginning. I'm afraid to try recovery console or other measures in case it deletes my data. If anyone can help me I would really appreciate it!!!! Thank you!
Read more 
Answer
+8
moins plus
Follow these instructions for a repair/install

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Good Luck

Answer
+5
moins plus
You can boot to windows CD. use the recovery console.

type "expand d:\i386\isapnp.sy_" for expanding isapnp.sys
after that type "expand d:\i386\pciide.sy_"

Should copy new versions of files onto system.
Reboot then should be ok.

sirluke- Aug 18, 2010 08:03PM
Just had similar problem and tried the above but didn't fix it. One exra step i found on another site did.......while in the C:\windows\system32\drivers folder do a search for .sys file with 0 byte size. (dir *.sys) and delete it. Myne was a dqvmnc.sys with 0 byte size. Good clue there is the random file name....second time this happened today, first time I did a Windows repair and was not in the mood for that again. Now to find the rest of the virus. System does boot once I deleted that .sys file with 0 byte size.
trantor34- Oct 1, 2010 04:22AM
0 byte worked for me thanks m8.
mateks- Jan 31, 2011 09:53AM
great...thats awwsome....it worked lik magic
li- Feb 6, 2011 09:18PM
sorry this might be a stupid question but if my dell laptop wont load my xp how do i get to the C:\windows\system32\drivers folder?
Answer
+3
moins plus
xpcman, this is jargon to me. I have a very similar problem to that of the original poster. I desperately need to access windows on m computer in order to recover some very, very important files. Is there any way you could dumb those instructions down a bit? I am truly sorry for my technilogical illiteracy, but this makes no sense to me. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Answer
+3
moins plus
Actually, I managed to solve my problem by taking out my laptop's hard drive, connecting it to an external hard drive enclosure (a kit you can buy that just has the connectors and turns your internal hard drive into an external one that you can use via USB) and then plugging it into a different computer. The old hard drive contents were all there but I had to reset administrator privileges and then I could access all of my old files and safely transfer them over before reformatting it. As long as your old data was not corrupted, this should work just fine!

Good luck!

Answer
+2
moins plus
Thank you for the suggestion, however, the computer in question is a desktop. Would this make a difference?

Answer
+2
moins plus
it shouldn't as long as you get a hard drive enclosure kit that matches your hard drive. You should either find out what model hard drive came with your computer or try taking it out and looking at it. You might wanna bring it with you to a computer store or best buy or something to make sure that it will fit the enclosure you buy - they should be able to tell you more if you're not sure what to do.

Answer
+2
moins plus
I have the same problem on my laptop, I did exactly that, and I can read everything from the hard disk on another computer, a desktop. I didn't buy a rack, I just put it inside by cables, it's an sata 2.5'' same connections on both computers. My problem is that the laptop doesn't do anything when I try reinstalling or booting from cd. It executes all corectly up to where it should load stuff, but there stays and doesn't do anything more. What can I do to make the computer work again? Thanks

Answer
+2
moins plus
This wouldn't get Windows working but you might get your files

Use a USB to IDE adapter

Answer
+2
moins plus
Can these two files be expanded from another windows xp medium (differing product keys) since I don't have the installation cd that came with the computer ? I have a Windows XP pro cd that contains these files but the computer I'm trying to fix has XP home.

Answer
+2
moins plus
try to scan harddisk withg an other pc,
XP Repair install

Please read carefully and make sure you followed the warning links before initiating the Repair Install. You can print a text version for reference. repair.txt

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.
2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below

This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.
3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER. do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console). I repeat, do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R".
4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.
5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair. If Repair is not one of the options, END setup. After the reboot read Warning#2!
6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot. Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears. Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

If you get files not found during the copying stage.

Blaster worm warning: Do not immediately activate over the internet when asked, enable the XP firewall before connecting to the internet. You can activate after the firewall is enabled. Control Panel - Network Connections. Right click the connection you use, Properties and there is a check box on the Advanced page.

KB 833330u Blaster removal

What You Should Know About the Sasser Worm and Its Variants

Microsoft Security Bulletin MS04-011
7. Reapply updates or service packs applied since initial Windows XP installation. Please note that a Repair Install using an Original pre service pack 1 or 2 XP CD used as the install media will remove SP1/SP2 respectively and service packs plus updates issued after the service packs will need to be reapplied.

Answer
+1
moins plus
Connect the Infected HDD to another pc as secondary and backup all your files else can use a External HDD enclosure and connect it via USB to backup your files. Try deleting suspected files or run any malware software (malwarebytes or sypwareterminator) to detect and clean it. It should work. Have the formatting as last option.

Ion- Apr 28, 2010 04:42AM
Hi Anand, not sure if you answered to my problem too, but it is exactly what I did. I put the 2.5'' sata from my Toshiba laptop, to a stationary AMD, and I copied all files. So no problem there. But, the thing is, my Toshiba Satellite A100, 2Cduo, 3 years old, doesn't want to go forward in any of the bootings I'm trying. For ex. I tried to boot with Windows Pro, it loads all those files, and than dispalys ''Setup is starting Windows'' but doesn't continue. I tried an Ubuntu cd, it stops after the initial loading. So what does this mean? I want to make the laptop work again, is it possible that the processor is damaged? Would it start at all?
Anand- Jul 19, 2010 03:56AM
First thing is that you wanted to make sure that your data is safe and i suppose i have responded to connect the hdd as secondary and copy important files. From your response i guess you have done that Good. Now i think you have left with the only option to reinstall the by formatting the hdd and use the installation disk which had come along with the laptop and it should work.
This document entitled « Windows XP won't load and safe mode freezes! » from CCM (ccm.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.