Freezing programs, Web pages don't load, etc

Closed
Morngglry - Feb 26, 2010 at 03:55 PM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - Feb 26, 2010 at 04:58 PM
Hello,
I work on Vista, and my computer was acting pretty slow lately.... after I restarted, all of a sudden my webpages won't load when connected to the net (I get a plain blank screen) everytime I try to open Opera. My programs are now freezing and when I try to open Task Manager I get an error saying I don't have the security rights to open it.
As of right now, the only thing I can use for the web/programs is if I start in Safe Mode. I've ran anti-virus programs and a registery cleaner. Nothing was found wrong.

I'm dumb when it comes to computers so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

1 response

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,168
Feb 26, 2010 at 04:58 PM
Hello Morngglry

You mean you can connect on the web even when you are in safe mode? That alone is very unusual!

This mean to me that the virus is running processes which still enable Internet.

I suggest to you that you must end the virus' processes before trying to crush it. But how do I do that will you ask.

Since you have access to Internet, (if you no longer have you just have to download the following from another computer and load it in your infected machine)

Download the following to your desktop:

https://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/rkill.com

If you can't see the above on your desktop,

Click on the Start button and type %UserProfile%\desktop in the Search field at the bottom of the start menu. Then press Enter on your keyboard.

Click right on the Icon then rename it Explorer.exe (this should fool the virus a little haha)

Double-click on the rkill.com in order to automatically attempt to stop any processes associated the virus. Please be patient while the program looks for various malware programs and ends them. When it has finished, the black window will automatically close and you can continue with the next step. If you get a message that rkill is an infection, do not be concerned.

If you get a warning leave the warning on the screen and then run Rkill again.

Do not reboot your computer after running rkill as the malware programs will start again.

Next step is to download Malwarebyte to your desktop

https://ccm.net/downloads/security-and-maintenance/4621-malwarebytes-anti-malware/

Once on your desktop, again to fool the self-protective virus is to rename it. Rename mbam.setup.exe to explorer.exe.

Double click on the icon and install. On the main page ensure to do an update. Then please run a full system scan.

Please let me know if the solution worked for you or if you need further assistance.

Good luck