Ask a question Report

Remote desktop connection won't work [Solved/Closed]

someone - Latest answer on Dec 31, 2012 08:00PM
Hello,i'm trying to connect to my other computer by remote desktop connection from my laptop. my other computer has windows xp media center addition and my laptop has windows vista home basic addition.i can view my other computer's shared files by typing "\\(and the comutername)" on to the adress bar thing. so i definatly have a network. but if i type computer name on remote desktop connection it won't work! help please!
:(
Read more 
Answer
+38
moins plus
You need to right click my computer go to properties, go to remote tab, enable remote connections on both machines. I was told that you can use Home version to connect to Business/Pro versions, but you can't connect Home version to Home version. Windows Vista Home/Home Premium, Media Edition, Windows XP Home, are all considered Home versions. I haven't tried it, but that makes sense. Home version isn't really designed for network use.

someone- Dec 17, 2008 12:49PM
owwwwwww =[ - but windows xp does have remote desktop =[, thanks for the help anyway =]
Jim- Dec 23, 2008 01:38PM
I'm having exactly the same issue. Did you ever resolve your problem. I have 10 workstation and I can RDP to 9 of them but the 10th shows your issue.

Thanks.

Jim
me- Aug 24, 2010 04:18PM
im a pc!! pc's rule!!
Jordan- Dec 31, 2012 08:00PM
"When I try to connect to my server, it just says "The remote computer requires Network Level Authentication, which your computer does not have." I have windows? XP" everywhere
Answer
+26
moins plus
First make sure you have enabled "Allows users to connect remotely to this computer" under the remote tab of you systems properties window on the computer you are trying to access remotely.

Second make sure the one you're accessing with has "Allow Remote Assistance invitations to be sent from this computer. It's under the same remote tab in your system properties window.

Thirdly, make sure that you're not just logged into a administrator account on the computer you are trying to access. Meaning the account isn't the built in administrator account. If you click your start button it doesn't say "administrator" as the name of the account.

Fourth don't type in computer name in the "remote desktop connections" window. Type in the IP of the machine. Need anymore help just email me. tsholmes88@gmail.com

Stephen346- Apr 17, 2010 10:37AM
Hello,

I can connect with the Remote Desktop Connection ... ver 2.0.1.

I can connect using the IP address, but the network is DHCP, and I would like to connect using the Name of the Windows machine, and not IP address any ideas?

Stephen

stephen_jg24@hotmail.com
Answer
+17
moins plus
Update your Nvidea display drivers with the latest for your chipset from the Nvidea site.

I know it's counterintuitive but this should fix the remote desktop issue with XP machines from dell.

Sas

Mike- Jan 12, 2010 08:53AM
When we try to connect (using Remote Desktop Connection) to our "new" office Dell (which just replaced an identical Dell Precision 380) the Dell reboots. Since the computer is password protected we have to come back to the office to enter password so it can finish loading. We are pretty sure the settings are correct but perhaps we have overlooked something. Any suggestions? The RDC worked flawlessly in the previous Dell. Thanks in advance.
Riptide360- Feb 24, 2010 02:23PM
Sas,

YOU ROCK!! Who would have thought that updating my NVIDIA display drivers on the PC I wanted to Remote Access was at the heart of the problem!

My symptom was on my Vista PC that choosing Remote Access Connection to connect to my XP PC would bring up a message saying that I was connecting to a PC running a different version of Windows Remote Access. I clicked yes to proceed and when I clicked the connect button again it greyed out and then a second later it came back with no message. Updating the NVIDIA driver did the trick.

THANKS

RIP
mac- Mar 25, 2010 11:04PM
sorry not with homebasics os,
Kasrock- Apr 16, 2010 06:48AM
Guys I had the same problem and none of the answers fixed it, but I finally manage to solve it...

Go to Display Properties on Control Panel
Click in the tab of Settings
Click on the Advanced Button
Go to the tab of Troubleshoot
Set the Resolution there to None...
Apply and try again...

Fixed!

Thanks anyway for all the suggestions!
Jackoland- May 21, 2010 02:01PM
Kasrock's post above worked for me, except it is not "Set the Resolution" it is set the Hardware acceleration to None. Weird problem why my computer would not connect to any known remote desktop machines/terminal servers, but for some maddening reason this was the solution
Answer
+13
moins plus
right click on my computer - go to properties- Remote - two check boxes select -

restart system then check

Answer
+10
moins plus
Make sure Windows Firewall is turned off or has an exception for the incoming IP

Answer
+7
moins plus
I was having issues connecting from Vista home Premium/Windows 7 home premium to XP Pro. The solution was on the Windows XP machine I had to goto the Windows Firewall -> Advanced tab and for each network type I wanted to allow remote connection, click on Setting and allow Remote Desktop. You need to do this apart from adding an exception to Remote Desktop in the exceptions tab.
Uttam

hkon- May 23, 2010 05:10PM
this is exactly what sorted it for me
Answer
+6
moins plus
XP has remote desktop in sp2 or sp3, and you can use it to connect to Vista home basic and premium but not vice versa. Is their another program that will allow remote connect available for use with vista basic and home? Vista business and ultimate is the only versions with full capabilities of remote desktop.

user- Feb 11, 2009 04:17AM
maybe you can try adding port to your XP Firewall.

Start -> Control Panel -> Windows Firewall

Go to Exceptions tab. click "Add Port"

Name: Remote
Port Number: 3389
TCP

It works for me.
emc- Mar 5, 2009 03:37PM
You said you have this working perfectly. Using VPN and remote access from your vista home os to an xp os computer?
BADDOG user - Oct 2, 2009 07:43PM
not only that what ever gateway ip address is you need to make sure remote manage is enable with your user name and password
ted d - Feb 28, 2009 07:32AM
remote desktop control works perfectley for me (Vista Home admin and XP home Host)
OldandGray 2Posts Monday March 8, 2010Registration date March 8, 2010 Last seen d - Mar 8, 2010 05:02AM
OK, Just went thru this -- first time it worked, then nothing.
Tonight after numerous language words I remembered reading of problems with
Microsoft TCP/IP Version 6 -- so if you have gone the video route without success
Try this -- --

On "My Network" or "Network Connections" -- whatever it is --
(I renamed mine to "Network" but that is irrelevant.)
Whatever it's labeled, right click it and select "Properties"

When the window opens find your wireless connection -- again, Right Click on "Properties"

On the "General" tab scroll the list labeled "This connection uses the following items:
If one is labeled "Microsoft TCP/IP Version 6" remove the Check mark next to it, OR uninstall it.
There should be one labeled "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" - make sure it is checked.
If it's not there then select "Install" then "Protocol" -- select it and make sure it is installed and check marked.

Should fix the problem -- Make sure all the other Microsoft Library article settings are correct (sounds like you did.

Another item for many here -- Remote Desktop comes in Windows XP Pro for sure and I think other
XP versions with service packs installed. --
If it's not installed then go to the Microsoft Library, get the download to install it. It works on virtually all windows from 95 on! Also -- If you run Windows 7 on one machine it will connect to the XP machines using Remote Desktop -- BUT not the other direction.. I don't check this site often but if you can try me at "jjshaffer3" on Yahoo email - I will try to help, but if I get overloaded I will probably post to the board and reply as such--

Hope this helps solve some of the mysteries!
Answer
+6
moins plus
When I remote desktop into my pc at work and thus the network there are the network engineers/help desk able to packet sniff all traffic coming from my home network and or have access to files on all computers on my home network?

-------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.secure-bytes.com

Answer
+5
moins plus
apparently, you can't connect from windows vista home basic to windows vista media centre edition .. or other way around =( there's no way. you need to have windows vista buissness or higher i think..

dustin- Sep 26, 2009 12:52PM
You most certainly can connect to a Vista Home PC from another PC. you simply need to add the batch file for terminal services. then you are just like a vista Ultimate machine.(in terms of rpd capacity) andrewblock.net has the files you need
Answer
+3
moins plus
try this software www.lanoninternet.com

easiest way to connect remotely.No monthly subscription charges/download limit.

Answer
+3
moins plus
if u have a user account password in windows xp give the other person your password. if you dont have a password in windows xp create 1 then give the other person ur lgin details. dont know y but it works instantly with a user account password. the firewal setup just dont seem to work.

Answer
+3
moins plus
Remote desktop I meant. Sorry, rephrase.

Answer
+3
moins plus
Ranger you rock! Updating the vid drivers worked like a charm on the dell 755 w/ati card!

Thanks again!

Answer
+3
moins plus
try checking you remote desktop cconnection is enabled on windows

Answer
+3
moins plus
I've actually just resolved this issue for myself - I had been struggling with it for weeks.

Basically my remote desktop used to work, but suddenly stopped, and I could not figure out how to get it going again. In my set up, I am using a laptop to try connect to a desktop located somewhere else in the building but on the same network. All the Remote Desktop configurations were in place it seemed.

So after reading a post above suggesting looking at the Remote settings under My Computer (My Computer, Right Click, Properties, Remote) I notice that you could add users specifically that can access this computer remotely. It said that my user was already configured to access the machine remotely, but I went ahead and added myself anyway, and as soon as I did, voila!! (as they say)

Answer
+2
moins plus
Thanks a lot it work for me too optiplex 755 dell windows XP sp2 updating the ati driver, thanks again... :)

ClzcntE- Dec 16, 2009 06:26PM
Hey Ranger.
Any knowlege if this would be a similar problem with a asus netbook with a intel Driver Version 6.14.10.4906
Thanks Much.
Ranger Sasquatch 5Posts Thursday November 5, 2009Registration date December 16, 2009 Last seen - Dec 16, 2009 06:58PM
Off the top of my head I really can't say. I'd make sure that the NLA Service (Network Location Awareness) is turned on (in XP) AND I'd update those intel video drivers to the latest not beta version for that chipset.

Is this a Dell PC we're discussing?

Sas
ClzcntE- Dec 18, 2009 05:43PM
It's a Asus eeee, I cant see it now cause it got on the road to NC and we tried to day to get a connection and couldn't get it.
When she gets back I can try some ? any thing else.
I was using my xp pro E6500 and couldn't get it to connect then found that the W firewall was blocking in conjunction with COMODO and once disabled W it was working like it should on note book to desktop in house.
But nothing I tried cold get the asus to go.
ClzcntE Ranger Sasquatch - Dec 18, 2009 05:54PM
Let me add a little info on the asus it's a 10" and the old tech at her office upgraded it to xppro so it should be capable to host or client with no problems.
Answer
+2
moins plus
I actually really appreciated the support and interface of Proxy Network's PC remote access and think you might want to try that. I know you can try many versions of remote software, like TechInLine, LogMeIn, Hamanchi and Proxy Networks, for free. Many even have free versions. I like Proxy because of the security layers and the interface. It also doesn’t weigh heavy on my laptop and the installation was a snap. But like I said- I would play around and try a few before committing to one.

Answer
+2
moins plus
Ok, i see alot of ppl got there problems solved here so i am gonna try also : )

I am trying to connect from XP professional to XP Media Center. I keep getting errors, Remote desktop is checked, Port according to Media cntr PC is open. Tried connecting through IP and Computer name, Id really appreciate the help, i dont have Nvidea, i have radeon according to my Display properties. I believe all my drivers are up to date.

Thank You in Advance!!

-Mike

ralf- Feb 27, 2010 01:37PM
you checked both firewalls 9 times out of ten this will be the prob.

also as far as am aware you cant remote a newer version of windows from an old one?
OldandGray 2Posts Monday March 8, 2010Registration date March 8, 2010 Last seen - Mar 8, 2010 05:24AM
If anyone has gone the video driver route and still have Remote Desktop problems
go look at the Post I made concerning RDT and "Microsoft TCP/IP Version 6" --
Also -- not trying to trump RS in any way. He is correct that many
other machines use NVidia video chipsets. And you can often use
drivers from the NVidia site, however, every so often an OEM (manufacturer)
will customize the standard video drivers to their own need. So if you pull them
from Nvidia site and have other video problems OR your video goes haywire,
look on the computer makers site. You may have to roll the drivers back and
reinstall ones from the PC makers site .. Take care --
Answer
+2
moins plus
firstly have you tried to ping you address if you can ping it then the problem possible you have not allowed reomte desktop connection right click on my computer and goto remote option and allow it there

Answer
+2
moins plus
A few days ago my previously working connection to an XP box from a Win 7 one stopped working. Checked all the settings and nothing had changed.

After a lot of digging and experimenting I found that I can now connect only if I use the IP address of the target computer instead of its computer name. I presume that MS, in their infinite wisdom, screwed something up during an update.

1 2 Next
This document entitled « Remote desktop connection won't work » from CCM (ccm.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.