Ask a question Report

Reset to factory settings with vista [Solved/Closed]

thegeneral01sk8r - Latest answer on Jan 5, 2013 07:18PM
i am trying to reset my computer to its original factory settings. I do not have the restore disk.. I have a Acer Aspire 5315.
Read more 

moins plus
Things You’ll Need:
Acer PC or laptop
Step 1:
Click “Start” menu.
Step 2:
Click “Programs.”
Step 3:
Click “Acer Recovery Management.”
Step 4:
Click the “Restore” button on the bottom of the dialog box that opens.
Step 5:
Click “Restore System to Factory Default.”
Step 6:
Click “Yes” in the warning dialog box which asks if you wish to continue the recovery process.
Step 7:
Click “Start” to restore the computer to the default factory settings.
Tips & Warnings
If you are unable to access the Start menu, use the recovery CDs that came with the computer or visit Acer's website (see Resources below).
Always make a back-up CD before restoring a computer to factory defaults.
Acer Website

emilycv- Jan 16, 2010 05:16PM
Thanks a lot, I managed to restore my computer. I have a utility tray at the top of me desktop that had this option but I never knew of it til I went through the start menu. My computer is now virus free, Thanks again.
huasonshine- Feb 1, 2010 04:03AM
Thanks Eddie, Your instructions on Recovery with Acer eRecovery Management were the ticket out of the antivirus - virus on my daughter's Acer 5335 with vista home, I appreciate your posting so much...God bless.
sombie- Nov 28, 2012 06:58PM
i can't restore my acer aspire 5315 as it is asking for password for e recovery and i don't know it any suggestions/ cheers susan
fergie- Dec 1, 2012 05:54AM
try 000000 six zeros
Kelly- Jan 5, 2013 07:18PM
fantastic and easy to follow instructions. Thanks!
moins plus
Hello when your computer is loading up press and hold 'f8' this should take you to a screen that says 'repair my computer' once there select that and it will take you another screen, there you want to choose the bottom option, it will be something like 'factory image'. Good luck.

shade- Oct 17, 2009 11:19AM
When I held f8 and click on what you said its telling me to enter a password and I don't have one
brad- Oct 7, 2012 07:40PM
try 00000000 that is 8 zero's.
moins plus
look for Acer eRecovery Management in your Start menu or Control Panel.

Here's what your laptop manual says about recovery.

Note: If your computer did not come with a Recovery CD or
System CD, please use Acer eRecovery Management's "System
backup to optical disc" feature to burn a backup image to CD or
DVD. To ensure the best results when recovering your system
using a CD or Acer eRecovery Management, detach all peripherals

redhotraver- Dec 23, 2008 03:15PM
can you help me i'm not sure how to use erecovery for my laptop but need to reset it to shop settings i have an acer aspire 5315 thanx Toyah
etc123 8Posts Friday August 21, 2009Registration date January 18, 2010 Last seen - Jan 18, 2010 03:22AM
Recovery instructions differ for different brands.

HP & Compaq:

moins plus
hit alt & f10 when u see it starting the microsoft screen i have to do it to my kids laptops this will work

moins plus
when i press f8 when dell logo appears it brings me to advance boot but in that last i dont see repair computer so i try with my recovery cd n with that it doesnt have restore dell facotory image so what can i do

moins plus
Dell uses F11 to start the recovery on late model PCs.

moins plus
I was reading through and folowing all of the instructions for the restore and then it asked me for a password? i dont remember putting a password on. Any help?

bal- Feb 14, 2010 03:17PM
the password is the one which you use for your user account
This document entitled « Reset to factory settings with vista » from CCM ( is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.