Ask a question Report

Network...Connected. Internet...no (DNS???) [Solved/Closed]

Sean - Latest answer on Dec 4, 2014 10:21PM
Hello,
I have been working on this for a while now. I have a strong wireless connection to my network. But when I try to open a page on firefox it says I have no internet connection. I have followed all of the linksys adviser steps but continue to be stopped by "no internet connection". My roomates computer is connecting to the same network and working fine. I followed all of the steps from another forum "post http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich 10833 modem is connected but not the internet " until tjmartineau, on Saturday 20 September 2008 à 18:55:40. I CAN open google on the firefox with an ip address but I CANNOT open anything with a regular address. The other post did not address the DNS issue. I have a weird packets recieved vs sent too : recieved: 2966 sent: 3661. What is wrong with my computer/internet/router/whatever???
Thanks,
Sean
ps: im on the roomates computer right now. (mac)
Read more 
Answer
+291
moins plus
assuming you have Windows XP - go to START and Run and type in the following commands

ipconfig /releasel
ipconfig /all
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /renew

netsh int ip set dns
netsh winsock reset

Jerome Tioti- Nov 16, 2014 08:46PM
What if I'm using windows 7..? How do I troubleshoot..?
Kippersmum2- Nov 18, 2014 09:53AM
I tried all of this but I keep getting error message windows cannot find ipconfig etc all the time help
Sarah- Nov 19, 2014 12:14PM
I tried these but I get either no elevation or No operation can be performed while it has its media disconnected and and error occured while realising interface Loopback Pseudo-Interface 1: the system cannot find the file specified.

I am using windows vista. Help please
hjam- Nov 19, 2014 08:53PM
connected to LAn but no internet access.
dpan- Nov 26, 2014 04:29AM
I wanna know the reason behind this error and the way to fix. Just curious.
Answer
+199
moins plus
you might try theses commands

netsh int ip set dns
netsh winsock reset

OR you could get a new USB wireless adapter. That fixed things for me.

another thankful guy!- Nov 21, 2014 11:18PM
oh my god thank you so much! i haven't been able work my computer for the past 4 days. i've talked with 3 tech friends for hours telling me "defragment, change the dns, or resort to a full computer wipe" these commands saved my life and i dont even know much about tech. time to write a late 5 page research paper and 5 college essays over my thanksgiving break!
srini- Nov 23, 2014 12:25AM
this command works fine Thanks a lot . :)
Another grateful user- Nov 28, 2014 10:14AM
THANK YOUUUUU!! The reset also worked for me. I was in desperate need of using my PC but only google worked. Thank you, thank you!!!
Steph- Nov 29, 2014 06:00PM
It works like Magic omg!!! I have an important presentation and you have saved my day thank you so much xpcman!!!!!
Charley- Dec 4, 2014 10:21PM
you are a life saver, my son is so happy to get his computer back on line and im a hero. but you are the real hero thanks
Answer
+134
moins plus
You Could Also Follow These Steps :-

1.Go to control panel.
2. Then Network and Internet
3.Then click on Network and Sharing Center.
4.Then click change adapter settings
5.Then double click on the adapter you use for your internet.
6.click properties, then double click internet protocol version 4 (TCP/IPv4)
7.Then click on the circle where you see "Use the following DNS server addresses"
8. Put 8.8.8.8 in the box that says perferred DNS server.

That will make Google your default DNS server.

Hope it resovles your problem.

malz- Nov 9, 2014 02:23PM
Thanku sooooo much. Nothing else worked but this worked like a charm
Lori- Nov 18, 2014 06:55AM
this worked for me thanks so much!
sicday- Nov 20, 2014 08:21AM
it has worked!! thanks man
SugarIceTea- Nov 30, 2014 02:38AM
Hi. Thanks for the fix. I love you is not strong enough to express my gratitude. :3
gopi guevara- Dec 2, 2014 07:06AM
U r really great it works thanks
Answer
+45
moins plus
I had the same problem and the above suggestion by giant leap fixed it... sort of... I entered the numbers in the tcp/ip settings and they did not work. However when I removed them by clicking on the "retrieve address automatically" buttons, everything started to work. I know they were selected before but apparantly needed to un-checked then checked again for them to take affect.

Janperry- Aug 22, 2013 01:03PM
I have been trying to solve the exact issue and nothing worked except your answer so thank you!!
Lt76- Jun 2, 2014 06:24PM
That's it!
V26- Nov 1, 2014 09:43AM
this worked for me too! thanks so much!
Answer
+29
moins plus
Im having the same issue. 'DNS Probe finished no internet'. I'm running windows 7. I've tried almost everything I have read and know. Reset ip address, flush dns, reset router & machine, change network adapter dns settings, update drivers. The suggestions of ipconfig and netsh...set dns did NOT apply to this case. The problem affects chrome, ie, firefox and is the same whether wireless or connected via cable. And the problem is only on one machine. All other devices are connecting & browsing no problem.

If anyone has a solution outside of those I have mentioned PLEASE let me know.

Thanks

Ronnie- Oct 28, 2014 01:15AM
I'm having the same problem. I have yet to find a solution.
Answer
+24
moins plus
I had the same problem and it was driving me nuts! Removing SP3 fixed it though!

Thanks

GroundBanger- Feb 18, 2010 08:15PM
This worked for me great. Thanks for the support. Just had to show my appreciation.
HappyHesus- Aug 22, 2014 04:16PM
Thanks guys for the help, it worked. Make sure you type in cmd into start and right click and run as administrator.
MangaTh- Aug 28, 2014 05:00PM
Thanks, the administrator comment helped me :)
Answer
+21
moins plus
Ken- Apr 4, 2014 03:51AM
Yea, it worked. Thanks
Miskawi- Apr 27, 2014 12:47PM
Thanks it works
Nabil- Apr 28, 2014 07:28PM
Thanks a lot, u same me!!! 1 month searching for that!!!
Answer
+11
moins plus
Tried all no resolution. Running Windows 8

JMac- Jul 25, 2014 02:02AM
Then its probably just outages of service in your area. Your internet provider will tell you this.
Answer
+6
moins plus
thankz its work

Answer
+6
moins plus
i have a same problems too...that just like the "DNS_PROBE_NO_INTERNET" suddenly came out and i have tried the ways eyeryone suggested here to fix it but no use. i need to close all the browsers and it will return as normal, Need helps please.....

Geekylady 2Posts Saturday November 22, 2014Registration date November 22, 2014 Last seen - Nov 22, 2014 05:14PM
What operating system are you using and did you try typing in the Run box: ipconfig /release (press enter) then type: ipconfig /all (again press enter) then type: ipconfig /flushdns

If that doesn't work, right click My Computer, open device manager if anything has a red or yellow symbol if it does write it here.
Answer
+5
moins plus
wow thank you all guys ... netsh winsock reset works for my Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 ... you saved my day ...

Answer
+5
moins plus
I have Windows 7 Professional 64-bit and had the same "No Internet Access" problem through my wireless connection on my laptop. I read so many posts and websites regarding the issue, and it all boiled down to corrupted DHCP Client Service Dependencies drivers, namely afd.sys and http.sys, that prevented it from starting and connecting properly to the DNS server and obtaining a dynamic IP Address from the DHCP server. AFD --Ancillary Function Driver-- for Winsock is a core driver for networking and Internet communications that gets targeted by malware programs, and when anti-virus programs remove malware, AFD gets corrupted, and maybe NetIO Legacy Support drivers, e.g. TCP/IP driver, namely tcpip.sys. It is a common problem.

CAUTION: Before you start altering your system, please make sure to create a restore point.

Here is the fix:

Go to Device Manager and click on View on the main menu and Show hidden devices on the drop-down menu. Then, in the pane below the main menu, go to the Non-Plug and Play Drivers list and expand it. Look for any driver that is flagged for problems. I had afd.sys and http.sys flagged as they were corrupted.

You need to replace those corrupted drivers in the "C:\windows\systems32\drivers\" folder with fresh ones. I extracted mine from Windows 7 Professional 64-bit Installation DVD--I found a great tutorial on how to extract files from Windows 7 Installation DVD on

"http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/42776-extract-files-windows-7-installation-dvd.html"

Note: It is crucial to obtain/extract the corresponding drivers to your type of Windows 7 Installation, mine is Professional. It is all explained in the above referenced tutorial. You will need to "take ownership" to replace the drivers--I found a great tutorial on how to take ownership in Windows 7 on

"http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67717-take-ownership-file.html"

and followed Option One for speed. You can follow the option that suits you better. (Make sure to replace and not keep a copy of the corrupted files when prompted.)

Once those DHCP dependencies drivers are replaced with the right fresh ones and the system is rebooted, your machine is set to go.

Preventive Maintenance Note: Once your system is up and running, create a restore point.

Good luck.

Geekylady 2Posts Saturday November 22, 2014Registration date November 22, 2014 Last seen - Nov 22, 2014 05:05PM
I'm having the same issue on one system, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, however, when I open my device manager nothing's prompting that it's corrupt or missing. I'll try your method and see if it helps, otherwise, I'm stuck with no internet yet, I can still access the files on the network. Unfortunately, this all happened after an update, thus the restore point, is set at the update time and date nothing before it. I removed the updates still can't connect.
Answer
+4
moins plus
I am having the same trouble yesterday my internet worked just fine and then this am i sat down and clicked G Chrome and Boom can not go to any page when i trouble shoot my connection it say they see i can go to some internet pages and everything is fine tried
ipconfig /renew and everything that has been stated on this page and 100's more forums and still i can access my home network-watch movies from my networked HDD and i can use windows update or ping google.com or any other web site but as to go to a web page forget about it -webpage unavailable-also google chrome,IE also crashes 1/2 the time i tried the winsock fixit tool or the DHCP fix it tool and the tcpip fix it tool still after reboot same status of no internet web pages nor skype..about rdy to do some hardware changes with a sledge hammer to see if i can let that blue smoke out.....

Ambucias 22009Posts mardi 2 fvrier 2010Registration date ModeratorStatus August 1, 2015 Last seen - Sep 29, 2014 07:48AM
This a totally different issue.

To increase your chances of getting a solution, please create a new thread by clicking on "ask a question"
Mael palarae- Oct 6, 2014 01:00PM
It work....thanls
Mael palarae- Oct 6, 2014 01:01PM
Xp...I'm type all what you already post and its worked
This document entitled « Network...Connected. Internet...no (DNS???) » from CCM (ccm.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.