I am having a problam with the internat explorer on my computer. There is a connection as msn messenger works but no matter what I try I cant seem to get the internet. when I try to look at a page I just get "internet explorer cannot display the webpage". I then click diagnose copnnection problems and it tells me that
" windows cannot connect to the in internet using HTTP, HTTPS or FTP, this is probably caused by firewall settings on ur computer.
check firewall settings for the http port 80,https port 443 and ftp port 21"
i cant seem to find out how to check these settings.... can anyone help???
first check if your ip and your DNS are automatically obtained... do the following
I had the same EXACT problem and this resolved my issue right away.
1. click start>control panel
2. in classic view open the icon for network connections
3. right click on the icon for Local Area Connection and choose properties
4. in the local area connection properties window click on Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and then click on properties
5. In the next window that opened make sure that Obtain IP address automatically and Obtain DNS address automatically both have the green button on them... click apply and then OK...
you can further optimize your browser setting by doing the following...
1. in the control panel window open the icon for internet options (make sure that there is an entry for your homepage section. if you don't have any try putting www.google.com or any website you prefer IE to load upon opening)
2. click on the security tab
3. look into the part where it says security level for this zone and find the default level button, click on it
4. go to the privacy tab click also on the default button
5. go to the connections tab, look for the button for LAN Settings, click on it
6. under the lan settings window make sure that Automatically Detect settings is the only item checked...
7. go to the advanced tab and click on the Restore Defaults button
8. click apply and OK
9. close your internet explorer browser and reopen it... your default home page should load automatically
Did you end up getting this problem fixed? I have the exact same thing happening to me and would love to know how to fix it without having to take my computer in to the shop. I can check and send email on Outlook Express but just can't get on the internet! SO frustrating. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I tried all of the suggestions about resetting defaults etc and none of it worked. Here is what may help you to help me-This all began when I removed zonealarm security suite and installed avast. I disabled my internet connection before installing avast, but it seems like it automatically reenabled it and then I couldn't use browser. the odd thing is, I tried uninstalling avast, then I was able to use my browser without a problem, but I have to have an antivirus software in the computer. It seems to have something to do with the avast download.Can you help?
I got same problem IE and chrome didnt work but mozilla was so I start looking in internet and came across this directions and it work,
open internet explorer,go tools,internet options, connections,then click in lan setting button once there uncheck everything in proxy server area and only check the box where it says automatically detect setting in the automatic configuration area, everything else should bu unchecked.
it work for me!now after 6 months using firefox only im glad I got IE back.
JASSI - that quick solution did the trick. I've been struggling for 2 weeks (started with MALWARE issue, many boots and uninstall/reinstall AV and Spybot stuff to "CLEAN")....thought I was good then couldn't connect to internet. FIREFOX worked but I couldn't upload to VIMEO; IE8 didn't work at all. Even Zone Alarm (which I resintalled) couldn't connect to download the updates). I fixed the IE8 settings just as you said....and it WORKED! OMG you're a lifesaver - THANKS!!
If the virus isn't allowing you to go on the internet, of course telling you to download the software is useless. Try system restore, click on start and type in system restore. You will be asked if you want to restore or recover your system, check system restore because recovery will put your computer back to factory settings, losing all you files , picture, ect. In system restore use the recommended settings. This will put everything back to before the virus attacked. No files , pictures , ect. will be lost. It worked for me. I hope this works for anyone have this problem. It's soooo frustrating.