Wrong power cord causes shutdowns?

Solved/Closed
LBS - Jul 21, 2010 at 02:20 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Jul 21, 2010 at 10:17 PM
Hello, Can the wrong ac adapter from another laptop cause my current laptop to shut down sporadically? It shuts down playing games, upon opening the cover at times and sometimes just plain surfing the web either within a few minutes or after an hour or so. I just noticed that a Dell power cord is hooked up to my Gateway laptop. Don't know how this happened but could that be the culprit?

3 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Jul 21, 2010 at 10:17 PM
Yes. This could cause a problem. They might not even be the same voltage! Or the Dell adapter may not be able to provide the proper watts to power the Gateway. I suggest you find the Gateway adapter and try it.

Good Luck
Blocked Profile
Jul 21, 2010 at 02:52 PM
Hi there,

You mean only power cord or the adapter also?Please give more information connected with issues having,

Thanks
it's actually 2 pieces but they are connected together. It plugs into the wall and then into the back of my laptop. There is a rectangle box in the middle. I'm not sure if this is called just the power cord or AC adapter. It is the power cord that came with my Dell laptop, but now I own a Gateway. Not sure how they got mixed up, but the yellow tip fits perfectly into the back of my Gateway. Hope this helps and doesn't sound silly! :)