I swear this info. helps to resolve this problem for Windows XP. I had this problem and tried this -- it works!
1. Close all open programs
2. Click on Start, Run, and type REGEDIT and press Enter
3. Click on the plus signs (+) next to the following folders:
4. This folder is the DVD/CD-ROM Drive Class Description in the registry. Look for any of the following names in the right hand column.
5. If any of the above keys shown in step 4 are listed, right-click on them and choose Delete
6. After deleting the keys, close the Registry Editor
7. Reboot your computer
8. Open My Computer and check to see if your CD or DVD drives have returned. You may also want to open Device Manager and verify that the yellow exclamation and error code on the CD or DVD drive is gone. Also, be sure to check under Computer to make sure the CD/DVD drive is visible.
I'm sure following these steps will work for you as they did for me.