I have the ipod touch 2nd gen...

Closed
Sammi - Jan 19, 2009 at 09:29 AM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Jan 19, 2009 at 03:12 PM
Okay so I have the iPod touch the 2nd generation and I can't do some things on safari because I need to download the latest adobe flash player. I goto do that and than a little window pops up saying safari cannot download this press ok. I've tried doing it multiple times but the same thing happens. I tried to find reasons why on apple but they have no answers. I've looked on google and everything. I tried to see if you had to buy it from like apple or something but it's not there. Its driving me crazy can you please help.

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Jan 19, 2009 at 03:12 PM
Ther is no version of Flash that will run on the ipod touch.

The problem with Adobe Flash is two-fold:

1. Though the iPod touch runs on a scaled version of OSX, it contains an ARM based processor, not an x86 or PPC based processor like on a desktop PC or Mac. This means that Adobe (and not Apple, because flash technologies are closed source and owned by Adobe) would need to write a version of the flash player specifically for the iPod touch/iPhone ARM processor. This means that Adobe would have to work closely with Apple (who would also need to hand over a large sum of money to Adobe) to develop a flash player. This means that either Apple or the consumer would need to absorb the cost of the new flash player; I doubt that Apple likes either option.

2. The memory and processing footprint of a full scale desktop-like Adobe Flash plug in is huge. The iPod touch simply lacks the memory and processor resources to properly run flash. Safari would likely become very unstable if Adobe attempted to run a version of flash for the iPod touch.

In short, we will likely never see Abode Flash on this generation of the iPod touch.