Ask a question Report

Vaio keyboard [Solved/Closed]

dan d - Latest answer on Jan 5, 2013 09:00AM
Hello,
I have the right side of my keyboard that will not enter the backslash..it gives me letters with a little deally on top....I want to get the backslash working...do not need more letters.....I am trying to install a security program...soon...
Read more 
Answer
+52
moins plus
omg....same thing happened to me and i spent an hour googling this issue.

my alpha keys would bring up numerical and/or punctuation. for example, letter "i" would type "5".

How many people have had this problem??

Simple simple SIMPLE answer folks. Are ya ready??

On your Vaio laptop keyboard...upper right hand side of keys....there is the 'Num Lk Scr Lk' button. Simply unclick this so that the light goes out. This keyboard does not require the 'num lock' as regular usb style k/boards do...since there is no right hand numerical keypad.....

D'oh!!!!!

Feel free to smack your foreheads at will... I know I did.

kvs1- Jul 28, 2010 11:48AM
this doesn't work if you have a numerical keypad on your sony vaio. if you do have a keypad and you have this problem see response from "Dumbass" below.
kiki017- Apr 26, 2011 05:27AM
thankyou cybergal you helped me get out of the problem
sherry- May 6, 2011 09:22PM
God bless your heart totally ticking me off before!!!!
Malkomik- Nov 26, 2012 01:14AM
Thank you very much Zain. FN and Numlock are the solution
Raj- Jan 5, 2013 09:00AM
Thanks a lot
Answer
+29
moins plus
Your problem is the keyboard switched to a different language, on the bottom right side you'll see a keyboard, click it, change it to english.

troll_mor- Jun 5, 2010 03:56PM
thank you for helping out ,,, it fixed the problem
kvs1- Jul 28, 2010 11:47AM
perfect thank u!
victim- Apr 30, 2011 02:14PM
help me please whenever i do back space it takes alot of time and it ke
Answer
+6
moins plus
Totally glad to help out.
Wonder how many techs out there have made a killing off this 'issue'???

LOL!

Answer
+5
moins plus
Ok, so I know about NUMLOCK. but here is a slightly different challenge and it driving me NUTS!!!

In word 2007 (Vista) the appropriate 'green' character works...e.g. the question mark and the back slash. BUT in Outlook I am SUDDENLY getting the 'pink' characters and CANNOT get the green question mark. What is happening???? Please help!!
I have tried every combination of FN, Alt Car, Num Lk, Control, Shift...you name it. Am at my WITS END!!
El

islandgirl02- Jan 15, 2010 12:44PM
I just aked a stupid question to El lol? I know how to get "green" characters to work. Sorry, it's the "pink" characters I can't get to work.
mb- Feb 3, 2010 09:20PM
so i have a sony vaio pcg-fx370 and i got the blue screen of death and had to completely start over with xp. soon after i noticed my touch pad wouldnt scroll when moving on the rightside, but i went to sony website, found driver and fixed the prob :) but i just noticed my fn button isnt working either ie: volume control and i cant find anything on the website for keyboards any ideas?
zabe77- Mar 27, 2010 07:42AM
There is a picture of a keyboard on the bottom right of your screen (on the task bar to the left of the time and running apps). Click the keyboard symbol, if you want to use the PINK characters, set it to Canadian French, if you don't want to use them, set it to US.

Note, it seems to stay set per application so when I set it to Canadian French here, then to US in word, then came back here, it was still on Canadian French.
zabe77- Mar 27, 2010 07:45AM
Okay per JoKO holding Ctrl Shift Fn also works at toggling it back and forth... frustrating since I need to press those keys in the excel for Inverse Matrices so it's messing with my keyboard when I do the problem! At least now I know how/why it got turned on!
aud626- Jul 12, 2010 07:05PM
THANK YOU SO MUCH ZABE77!!! IT WORKED :D
Answer
+4
moins plus
I'm SO happy googling "s6ny va56 a3t car" got me here :)

Answer
+0
moins plus
You are correct! Numbers inserted into the alpha section of the keyboard.
Funny how I never noticed this before....
Thanks!
:)

Answer
+0
moins plus
Thank you so much!! I feel like an idiot! I didn't even notice the number lock light was on. You saved me at least a $50 support call.

Answer
+0
moins plus
you saved me a lot of time or formating of system

thnaks a tonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Answer
+0
moins plus
OK What you need to do is play with ctrl shif and ctrl shif Fn on the bottem right side of the key bor as well as the number lock button at the top left corner. Just fiddle around with these two, you will get how they work with some practice. It was my understanding that alt car was a compleatly different fuction. Probably something to do with suffing the net and manipulating programs with out a mouse.

2noncomputergeeks.- Mar 27, 2010 10:19AM
after a year of trying to fix it, you are the best!
thank you
BJB- Jul 26, 2010 12:43PM
This actually works and is a separate issue from the number key. Setting the keyboard type did not help.
BJB- Jul 26, 2010 12:50PM
also had to play with alt fn shift. There are at least three different modes. A bit voodoo.
This document entitled « vaio keyboard » from CCM (ccm.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.