External drive suddenly void of ALL files, no access

Closed
markns Posts 1 Registration date Wednesday September 23, 2015 Status Member Last seen September 23, 2015 - Sep 23, 2015 at 01:22 PM
Boogieman_WD Posts 275 Registration date Friday October 10, 2014 Status Member Last seen October 19, 2016   - Sep 24, 2015 at 02:37 AM
My Seagate external F: drive through a USB that is full of important backed up files is now suddenly showing up as "CD Drive (F:) Ativa U3 System" No files show at all. And when I unplug the USM, the computer does not even see the drive plugged back in.
Related:

1 response

Boogieman_WD Posts 275 Registration date Friday October 10, 2014 Status Member Last seen October 19, 2016   37
Sep 24, 2015 at 02:37 AM
Hey there, markns.

Have you had any issues with the drive prior to this problem? Any unusual sounds/noises coming from the HDD, hangs/freezes, slow or unusual transfer speed? Have you used any specific software to backup your data or you've just copy-pasted your files to the HDD?
I'd recommend that you try the drive with a different USB cable (preferably shorter than 12") and a different computer, to see if the same thing happens. If that doesn't help, I'd suggest that you try to access it via Ubuntu Live USB/DVD, to see if it's properly recognized and if you can get to your files. You could try data recovery software as well. And last, but not least, the most reliable data recovery option - a data recovery company.

Hope that helps. Please let me know how everything goes.
Boogieman_WD

WD Representative