My Toshiba Satellite is Restarting Itself

Solved/Closed
Dead comp - Oct 9, 2015 at 01:52 AM
BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 - Oct 18, 2015 at 02:35 PM
Hello,

My toshiba satellite L655-S5146 decided to give me a black screen one day with white writing. I selected launch start up repair and it just rebooted to the same screen. Once in a while it would load my log in page and open my files but selected to restart itself giving me a blue screen. After some time of me trying the numerous trouble shooting techniques including bios reset it now won't even turn on. I plug it in hit the power button and can hear the fan the computer makes a tick sound and shuts off after 3 seconds and turns on again if I don't remove the power cord it repeats the start and off cycle.

Can I remove my files from the laptop?

1 response

BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 150
Oct 10, 2015 at 01:38 AM
Hi Dead comp,

You could try to stop the cycle by stopping the reboot on system failure. You dont mention the version of Windows, but i'll guess its 7 or before ... To do the job you need hit the [F8] key repeatedly after you switch on. Contilue to do this until the Advanced Boot Menu appears. With the arrow keys select Disable Automatic Restart On System Failure and hit [ENTER]. Hopefully you will get a blue screen with white writing on with a stop code. Let me know the code and I will try to help from there.

Also if we cant get it going again, there might be a way of retrieving your data, but it depends on the damage caused so far.

Good luck - dont forget to post back with the stop code.
Thanks for replying, however it starts for 2 seconds and shuts off immediately. I tried the F8 but since it's not on long enough that does not work. Some other post on Google said to take out the ram sticks one by one and see if the laptop starts, I tried that and got the computer to start and repair to a time it functioned but now the mouse and keyboard is not working, even if I plug in an external mouse and keyboard. So I'm am still in a dilemma of how to retrieve my files. (And I have no idea what Windows model it is)
BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 150
Oct 10, 2015 at 03:33 PM
Ok. removing the memory would have been my next move. I guess you replaced the last one with one that you took out just in case the last stick was the faulty one.

Anyway, discounting the hard drive, try removing the hard drive and replace the memory. If it comes on and stays on it would probably indicate a faulty hard drive, or more likely something on the drive is causing it to fail. Let us know what happens.

Of cause, I am assuming this is not a power issue - if the battery is low and not charging this would cause the same sort of symptoms (but probably not the keyboard/mouse not working) - Just thought Id cover that base.

As far as recovering any data ...
now you have the hard drive out you could install it into another machine - but not as the primary drive. You could do this by putting it as a slave drive in a desktop machine (by connecting the power and data cables) or by installing it into an external USB caddy and connecting to a USB port in a desktop or laptop. With this done the first thing you should do as soon as the device is detected is to perform a FULL virus check on the drive. Remove (quarantine) anything the anti-virus program finds. You will now hopefully be able to navigate through your drive and save to another drive the data you need to save.

As an extra, if viruses were found then you could then try to install the drive back into the original machine. You might be lucky and have the machine working again.

Let us know how it goes.