- Oct 9, 2015 at 01:52 AM - Latest reply:
Registration date
Saturday January 17, 2015
Status
Last seen
November 17, 2018
- Oct 18, 2015 at 02:35 PM
Hello,

My toshiba satellite L655-S5146 decided to give me a black screen one day with white writing. I selected launch start up repair and it just rebooted to the same screen. Once in a while it would load my log in page and open my files but selected to restart itself giving me a blue screen. After some time of me trying the numerous trouble shooting techniques including bios reset it now won't even turn on. I plug it in hit the power button and can hear the fan the computer makes a tick sound and shuts off after 3 seconds and turns on again if I don't remove the power cord it repeats the start and off cycle.

Can I remove my files from the laptop?
See more 

18 replies

Registration date
Status
Last seen
November 17, 2018
Oct 10, 2015 at 01:38 AM
Thank you
Hi Dead comp,

You could try to stop the cycle by stopping the reboot on system failure. You dont mention the version of Windows, but i'll guess its 7 or before ... To do the job you need hit the [F8] key repeatedly after you switch on. Contilue to do this until the Advanced Boot Menu appears. With the arrow keys select Disable Automatic Restart On System Failure and hit [ENTER]. Hopefully you will get a blue screen with white writing on with a stop code. Let me know the code and I will try to help from there.

Also if we cant get it going again, there might be a way of retrieving your data, but it depends on the damage caused so far.

Good luck - dont forget to post back with the stop code.
Registration date
Status
Last seen
November 17, 2018
- Oct 18, 2015 at 11:24 AM
Thanks for that. I think I understand where you are now.

Hopefully the chkdsk has completed. I know it can take a very long time. Hopefully this will allow the machine to start working properly again.

If you are still not able to get it going let me know and I will give you instructions on how to manually restore your machine.
Ready >
Registration date
Status
Last seen
November 17, 2018
- Oct 18, 2015 at 11:49 AM
Chkdsk showed no errors. I restarted the computer and it's still at the same place: when on the log in page mouse and keyboard are stuck.

I tried removing the files from the command prompt opening notepad and then checking folders on the c drive. It says 100+GB of files but when I transfer to my external it's all blank.

Greatly appreciate your help and response to my dilemma. I am ready for a manual restore.
Registration date
Status
Last seen
November 17, 2018
> Ready - Oct 18, 2015 at 01:54 PM
OK ... I was going to do this (a) from memory, and (b) in my own words, but ...

I have found a website with pictures that show the whole process :^)

Go here and follow the instructions and hopefully all will be good when you restart ...

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/139576-startup-repair-infinite-loop-recovery.html

The only improvement I would make to these instructions is in instruction 6. You will (should) see the system drive in the second line of the screen showed in the screenshot. In the case shown the system drive is drive D. In step 8 (section I) where the author says to type "C:" you can type the drive letter you found on your screen at step 6 - in this case type "D:" (without the quotes)

Dont take too much notice of the size of the files unless there are any with a size of zero. In this case do as the author says and stop. Be aware that the copy process can take some time, and make sure the machine is not powered off during the copy.

Finally, just a pointer - in step 14, the bit where you type "copy *.* .." - there is a space after "copy" and a space after " *.* " so do be accurate with the typing.

Good luck. Let me know how it goes.
You are a life saver. Problem is solved. Wish I did this in the first place. Now I know so much about laptops and hopefully can pay it forward to someone else. You are fantastic and I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your help and step by step instruction. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!
Registration date
Status
Last seen
November 17, 2018
- Oct 18, 2015 at 02:35 PM
Great news. Thanks for posting back that it has been solved. Hopefully others in the same boat will benefit from this.

It was good working with you.