WD My Passport 0740 Not Seen in Windows Explorer [Solved]

Ask a question safaxe 1Posts Sunday October 25, 2015Registration date October 25, 2015 Last seen - Latest answer on Feb 29, 2016 01:53PM
Good Morning!
Please help! I have an external hard drive, WD Passport 0740 that was working fine until now. The computer sees it when I plug it in (because I get the option to eject it), I can also see it in device manager, but I can't see it in Windows Explorer and thus, can't access the files. Through device manager, I was able to update the driver software, uninstalled it, then did a "scan for hardware changes" through which I reinstalled it and it says that the driver is working fine, but... I can`t see it in Windows Explorer.
These are all my kids' pictures, my documents,... recovered on that hard drive after a my laptop crashed. Please help!
See more 
Helpful
+0
moins plus
After plugging in the device, go to device manager (In run type "devmgmt.msc") In Device manager go to "Universal serial bus controllers" It should list the storage devices that you have connected to your PC. Right click and then click "Uninstall. Remove the USB drive and restart your system.
Try connecting the device again
Add comment
Helpful
+0
moins plus
Hi Safaxe,

I am sorry for the dificulties caused by your WD My Passport. I would recommend you to enter Disk Management and check if the drive appears there. It should appear with a drive letter and a correct file format. If there is no drive letter, try to assign one, right clicking the drive. This action should not affect your data. Do not try to format/initialize the drive. I strongly recommend you to check the drive with another USB cable and on another PC.

Hope this helps

PiranhaBait- Feb 29, 2016 01:53PM
If drive letter does not appear in Disk Management, right click Volume, add drive letter. This worked for me.
Add comment

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!