My WD-Essentials - 500mb Gives an WD Hint Now - When I had Pass

Closed
chad2200 - Dec 11, 2015 at 09:21 PM
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   - Dec 18, 2015 at 03:54 AM
Hello,

I am really frustrated. I have a bunch of WD drives - all range in size. So, I was using a drive - great - had the password and it unlocked and then everything worked. Now, when I use the SmartWare, the "hint" is WD. What that means, and how to got past it, without loosing all of my data, which I would literally loose 1,000's of hours of work...or more, won't open! It's my frickin' hard drive. I alone have, and always will, use it. And now I am locked out with a WD hint? If I have to wipe my drive with an update, I am screwed. I just want to plug it in - have it show my files - and be able to access them. Period. Simple, right?

I have tried the power this and re-start that, etc...and nothing works. Is there like a starter password when you buy it? I am a designer/music maker/photographer...and not being able to access all my work...because of 1 little piece of software? Please, someone help! I am in desperation mode, with no way of doing anything that will mess up my drive. I have spent hours looking for the answer.

Chad

Related:

2 responses

BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 150
Dec 11, 2015 at 09:30 PM
If you havent changed the password you may be in luck. According to the WD website (burried deep in their support pages) and if it is a "my Book" the default user is Admin and the default password is Admin.
You have helped me a great deal, and I appreciate your digging. I was all ready to enter the Admin and you suggested, but when doing that, I got the "You have tried too many times entering passwords"...or some such thing - and then a "Courtesy" of having my hard drive wiped completely. What do they want from me/us? I am just trying to look at my files! I have a bunch of drives...and they don't do this...so why this, now? How do I fix this other issue, and is there a way to delete the files...reg and all, from my "I" drive? I un-installed the WD program files on the c drive -- but can't seem to un-delete the drive I need. Someone - please help. Thanks!!
BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 150
Dec 12, 2015 at 02:22 PM
Unfortunatley we cant get round passwords. They are there for your security. Perhaps you could write to WD and ask their advice.

I suggest you post again with this other issue you mention.

Im sorry I cant help more with this
dream2200 > BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021
Dec 15, 2015 at 11:16 AM
Hi Brian,

Well, I called up their Support line, give them my hard drive info on the back...and luckily the bottom of the box# -- that came with it...and they gave me the standard answers, which I will summerize in a story.

"Chad: I worked 6 years, made corporate...and they gave me $15,000 in cash, found my family photos's and years of designs I have made...with music and videos I have created, and irreplaceble stuff, other people's work I've always needed...and they put it in this box for me."

"WD: Bill, grab the lighter fluid and hand it to me...and then hold Chad back. I have a little something for it. It's called gasoline, and this one little match. Watch this."

That's a little example. And I hope it's just a dream, but it's not.

So, now where to? I need desperate help.
Chad
Dec 16, 2015 at 05:32 PM
I dont understand this post one little bit. I am a simple man and no good at cryptic crosswords or reading between lines. Please call a spade a spade and tell me in plain English.

With a little digging I found this ...

To try your password 5 more times, you need to safely eject the drive and unplug both the power and data cable from the unit and wait for a minute. Then plug it back in to a different USB port. You will now be given 5 more tries before you get "locked out again.
Hi. My point was this simple. I had data that has value. I can't get to it because of their program, which I can't remove...this leaving me with the option to delete the drive - nothing else. I tried the unplug/plug over 20x. So, I am moving on...will keep digging deeper, and hopefully find a solution that does not involve losing everything on that drive. There has to be some answer. Thank you for your time. All the best.
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Dec 17, 2015 at 03:08 AM
Hi Chad,

I am sorry for any inconveniency caused by your WD drive. Does the issue persist? Have you checked the drive on another PC and with another USB cable?
Like Brian said, security related issues should be discussed between you and the WD support. Could you please explain us what were you advised by the WD Support line?
I have seen similar issues and all was resolved with updating the SwartWare utility. This should not affect your data. If you have already tried that and you did not get any good advice from the support, try connecting the drive while booting from a Linux Live CD. I believe it is worth the try. You may be granted enough access to backup your data.
I strongly recommend you to keep a copy of your important information.

Hope this helps