Ask a question Report

I cant see my files wich is not hidden [Solved/Closed]

nasir - Latest answer on Oct 23, 2012 01:21PM
Hello Dears,
i have a problem in my Computer and then i have this in my flash drive too.
problem is that i dont know what type of threat came in my PC through net or Flash drive. it hides all my folders C drives, D, E and flash drives too. whenever i click on any drive i cant see anything but when i see properties of that drive it shows data. now i formated my PC but some of my important data are in flash drive i cant see these data if i know the name of folder like my picture when i type it in address bar I:\my picture then it open n show my data. how to remove this prob?
wat type of virus is this dont have any name i tried all type of antivirus its scan all the folder in flash drive but i cant see them. plz help me if any body know this.
thnx
Read more 
Answer
+1218
moins plus
1. click start>>run>>type in "cmd"
2. type the location of your flash drive.. e.g. "d:", "e:", "f:", etc..
3. type "dir /ah"
*you will now see the files/folders with hidden attributes
4. type "attrib [name of file/folder] -r -a -s -h"
*if you're going to unhide files, you should type the whole name plus the extension (format).. example "attrib party.jpg -r -a -s -h"
**if you have folders with 6 characters and above, type the first 6 characters then "~1".. example for folder named "birthday"
"attrib birthd~1 -r -a -s -h"
5. you should repeatedly type dir /ah after unhiding some files/folders so you'll know if they're now working or not..
6. now check you flash drive.. it should be there..

Rafaela- Oct 11, 2012 06:36AM
This is very helpful :D I'm so happy my files are back :)
ravipr- Oct 15, 2012 02:19AM
Thanks, I am able to retrieve all folders which was in hidden mode... :)
Mas- Oct 18, 2012 01:33AM
Thanks Krunal!! Been having headache on how to retrieve all my files in my hard disk that i holds 5 yrs works and within few minutes i manage to get it back. HAPPY :)
tan- Oct 22, 2012 05:27AM
your the man, thnx much
Sunny- Oct 23, 2012 01:21PM
Awesomeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :* ! buddy ty very much
Answer
+299
moins plus
if you dont like doing system tweaks so much. here's a not so technical solution: go to FOLDER OPTIONS. On the view tab CHECK "show hidden files and folders". UNCHECK "Hide protected operating system files". You will see your missing folders/files which were hidden by the virus. navigate through your these folders and just copy the files in them to a new location.

Javier Guzmán- Jun 25, 2010 11:51PM
Muchas gracias hermano me haz salvado toda mi informaci{on recabada en las últimas semanas (Brother thank you very much I've saved all my information gathered in recent weeks)
syke- Jun 26, 2010 04:14PM
Thanks so much mate it worked wonderfully!
Gracias amigo pude recuperar mis archivos de maravilla:D
Nano coater- Oct 5, 2012 09:27PM
This worked perfectly thankyou very much.
Asif- Oct 11, 2012 09:47AM
it's not working 'dir/ah"
it shows "File Not Found"
Bokosima 2Posts Monday October 22, 2012Registration date October 22, 2012 Last seen - Oct 22, 2012 07:44PM
This process works perfrectly. I rcently encountered same problem with my pen drive, and after following the process, all my folders appeared instantly.
Answer
+67
moins plus
1. Click on the Start button and select Run.

2. Type in regedit in the box and click OK to start up the Editor.
3. Once regedit appears, navigate through HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced.
4. Right-click on Hidden and select Modify.
5. Change the value to 1 and click OK to save your changes.

tausif- May 30, 2010 02:58PM
welldone ...thanks
azala- Jun 2, 2010 05:24AM
whenever the value doesnt changes , whenever i chage the value to 1 , it automatically changes back to 2 , plz help me , i know ur method is nice one , but i dnt know its not working for me
w- Jun 11, 2010 11:06AM
thanks - worked great
deepu- Jun 28, 2010 05:00AM
thanks nice job-friend
Hitesh- Oct 15, 2012 01:17AM
Worked perfectly.. Thanks :-)
Answer
+57
moins plus
Open command prompt
Go to USB drive location
Type dir /ah
All the files which are hidden in the flash drive will gt listed
Type attrib <file name> -r -a -s -h
If your file name contains space like(r s agarwal) then give the file name within double quotes
Thats it. Now you able to see the hidden file in your flash drive.

7136- Apr 25, 2010 03:10PM
Why do I keep on getting a message like "Parameter format not correct"?
james- May 2, 2010 11:41AM
yes it really works ....
Thanks for sugession
Aashu- May 4, 2010 09:45AM
Well Done Man >>>> It worked
nagarajudesetti- Jun 9, 2010 01:03AM
Thank you very very much

Nice Sharing
Qatsina- Jun 10, 2010 08:18PM
I have tried all that and still told access denied
Email id removed for security
Answer
+49
moins plus
http://mytechquest.com/...

Try this 129 kB soft ,,,,,,,,,,100% works

its just a matter of click

Answer
+40
moins plus
go to Tools >> folder option >> View and click on show hidden files also uncheck the boxes that says hide extension for known files and hide protected operation system files ( recommended ) . check ur files in ur flash drive u will see them they all as hidden files ,, uncheck the hidden option off ur files and smile :)

saroj- Mar 19, 2010 12:38PM
thanks it's working...
Bong- May 10, 2010 10:18AM
thank you very much it work!!!!!!!!!!!!!! cheers!!!!
rakesh- Oct 20, 2012 05:53AM
thanks dear it worked
Answer
+29
moins plus
Please follow the following steps to resolve USB problem of files being not seen in it.

1. Click on the Start button and select "Run".

2. Type in "regedit" in the box and click "OK" to start up the Editor.

3. Once regedit appears, navigate through
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\¬Explorer\Advanced.

4. Right-click on Hidden and select Modify.

5. Change the value to 1 and click OK to save your changes.

USB is through by following above steps.

Am sure in most of the cases it works.

Other options for drives & usb:

Method 1
To delete the Registry Hack do the following:
1- Open the Comand Prompt - Start-RUN-cmd
2- Finish the Explorer Task: taskkill /f /im explorer.exe
3- Check the following archives in C: a1.bat and autorun.inf Dir /ah
4- Change attributes -- atrrib -h -r -s a1.bat and atrrib -h -r -s autorun.inf
5- Delete this files -- del a1.bat del autorun.inf
6- Change settings of hidden folders like usuall ENJOY!!! Its done

Method 2
Just go to my computer then click tools then folder option click view then check mark show hidden files then uncheck ,hide extention for known file types and hide protected operating system files(recomended)
try it hope its help

Method 3
1. click start>>run>>type in "cmd"
2. type the location of your flash drive.. e.g. "d:", "e:", "f:", etc..
3. type "dir /ah"
*you will now see the files/folders with hidden attributes
4. type "attrib [name of file/folder] -r -a -s -h"
*if you're going to unhide files, you should type the whole name plus the extension (format).. example "attrib party.jpg -r -a -s -h"
**if you have folders with 6 characters and above, type the first 6 characters then "~1".. example for folder named "birthday"
"attrib birthd~1 -r -a -s -h"
5. you should repeatedly type dir /ah after unhiding some files/folders so you'll know if they're now working or not..
6. now check you flash drive.. it should be there..

Method 4
Use this command "attrib -s -h -r d:\*.* /s /d", it will solve your problem once in for all. use the drive letter whichever u need to be fixed as the d: in the example

sibaschas- Oct 11, 2012 09:50AM
I did all but not resolved shows file not found
Answer
+23
moins plus
Just in case all that fails, simply access the command prompt of your drive
i.e. Start>Run and then type cmd and press enter
At the command prompt type the following

attrib *.* -r -a -s -h /s /d

this will clear the attributes of all files and unhide any hidden files including those in subfolders

Answer
+19
moins plus
To delete the Registry Hack do the following:
1- Open the Comand Prompt - Start-RUN-cmd
2- Finish the Explorer Task: taskkill /f /im explorer.exe
3- Check the following archives in C: a1.bat and autorun.inf Dir /ah
4- Change attributes -- atrrib -h -r -s a1.bat and atrrib -h -r -s autorun.inf
5- Delete this files -- del a1.bat del autorun.inf
6- Change settings of hidden folders like usuall ENJOY!!! Its done

laboudi- Jan 14, 2009 09:17AM
I would be really grateful if you can share with us how you managed to solve this problem as i found the instructions listed above too complicated. thanks
BASTI Cell - Jan 20, 2009 05:28AM
Hi cell, i have the same problem you encaountered. Can u pls help to solve this one. Thank you in advance.
Matt- Mar 5, 2009 12:01PM
I have no idea how nor why (I no very little about computers) but it worked perfectly!!!
any particular reaon why this happens? (I cant see the files which is hidden?) should I do something now? like an antivirus or spyware?
Thanks a lot for your help

Matias
nimzrocks- May 21, 2009 06:02AM
I only did your first step (taskkill....) can you please tell me how to do other steps ? my files are so important..............please help me...reply me
Gazelッ 7Posts Thursday March 11, 2010Registration date March 24, 2010 Last seen - Mar 19, 2010 12:41AM
could you please make your steps from the 3th one more clear? my cmd says that those file are not known as an internal or external command! (a1 ... )
thanx
Answer
+10
moins plus
simple
just change path to the flash or whatever files you want and type
dir /ah
you will be able to

sunbae eoji- Mar 2, 2010 08:35PM
hey i did try the attrib stuffs all that!omg it's worked!thanx u very much!!!but i have an enquiry now.how to achieve the dir /ah for the subfolders in the flash drive?please helpppp.huhuhuhu
barham_2005@hotmail.com- Jan 24, 2010 03:36AM
Hi There,

i cant see my files wich is not hidden

i can't see the whole contents of drive d: that the contents are shown by system task.

Thanks in advance.

Mohammad A. Barham
trex- Feb 3, 2010 07:42AM
Hi Mohammad,

I just settled my problem. You can use this cmd to solve your problem :

"attrib -s -h -r d:\*.* /s /d", --> this cmd for drive "D"

hope this will help you.
Shorty- Feb 15, 2010 04:55AM
you are a GENIUS!!!!!
kolatski18- Feb 16, 2010 04:48PM
okay i am having a problem following these directions, the name of the flash drive is D KOLATSKI, there are many folders on the drive, i am not very good with computers and cant tell what to type when it comes to attrib -s -h -r d:\*.* /s /d... i dont know where to place spaces or what i have to do, i am a college student and all my work is on this drive and need to get it back as soon as possible. the drive says that there is space being used but the folders are not showing up when open the drive... the location of the flash drive is G: i think.... please help me and tell me what to do
Answer
+10
moins plus
After scan viruse all my folder on my flash memory has become system file and hidden, How to do if I want to correct this problem.

Answer
+8
moins plus
Hey guys, thank you. your suggestions solved my problems regarding folders suddenly being hidden.

jamshidi- Jun 8, 2010 11:22AM
Thank you i solve my problem by contents of this page
Answer
+6
moins plus
same problem here plz tell me if u got any solution

Answer
+5
moins plus
>>console.exe is the name of virus it makes our folder becomes hidden, you can show your file at windows vista..you can delete also the the hidden virus at windows vista..the folder of you is infected by a virus like 64console.exe.autorun.inf.etc..when you open your file at windows vista pls check out all the folders because the virus are duplicated all folders..

Answer
+5
moins plus
it is called a spybot and the reson yo ati virus cant get it is because it mods it self in to a file that the cpu or gpu needs you must bring it to a pc repare shop

Answer
+5
moins plus
ok r u on a windows machine? If so, Check for hidden folders anyways and they should show up

Rusty- Jan 6, 2009 08:22PM
I'm having the same problem too.. please anyone help..
gangster- Jan 16, 2009 10:36AM
PELASE HELP
IM GONNA DIE IF I DONT GET MY FILES BACK
SAM- Mar 27, 2010 12:50AM
cool buddy just follow the above anonymous and u will live dear u r through heheheeeeeeee
Answer
+5
moins plus
There are reports that a more or less failed installation of the Daemon-Tools V4 makes XP fail assigning drive letters to new drives.
It's suggested then to uninstall the tools and to delete some files in System32\Drivers: sptd.sys, secdrv.sys, sptd.sys, sptdNNNN.sys (NNNN = numbers). Here are some more information:
http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/archive/index.php/t-7868.html
For the deinstallation there is sptdinst_x86.exe.

Answer
+5
moins plus
hi buddy,

i have tried the options displayed above but i can't able to execute those steps. here is the best option that i have done and it's working to my notebook "laptop" and now, i have accessed the files in which i can't view before.

just follow the few steps:

1.] Check whether your "task bar and start menu properties" is running on "classic start menu" or "start menu" only.
-to do this, point your mouse arrow to the task bar and right click, then select the "properties" to display the "task bar and start menu properties" then select the "start menu" tab. there you can see the current start menu being activated.

2.] If "Start Menu" is activated; do this: go to "start menu" Open "My Computer" to access it.
or if "Classic Start Menu" is being activated; do this: double click the "My Computer" icon on the desktop to open it.

3.] Right click the drive letter (e.g. C: , D: , E: , etc.), then select "Properties".

4.] Select the "Tools" tab and click the "Check Now" button.

5.] Check the boxes of "Automatically fix file system errors" and " Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors".

6.] Click "Start" button.

7.] If in case the "Disk Checking" will ask you to schedule it on the next restart of your computer, then do it.

8.] Restart the computer.

9.] While the computer is restarting and running the "Disk Checking", you will notice this message displayed on the screen "Recovering Orphan Files _______________ (name of the files you have saved in which you can't access or view".

10.] Finish the "Disk Checking" to fully recovered and fix the line errors of your hard disk.

11.] Finally, the files in which you can't access or view before are fully recovered.

Note: Do the steps above if you are "newbie user" or "advanced user"
It works great for my notebook.
Now, if it's not working in your computer, then something is really happening on your unit.
Do post any comments, so i will be updated.

Best Regards to the Staff and Moderators on this site

Gob Bless and Keep Up the Good Works! :-))

Frog- Jun 7, 2010 10:09AM
After hours of trying all the methods I could find to fix this problem, this one finally worked. Thank you!
Bilal- Jun 20, 2010 02:31AM
Dear Kanes,
Your solution worked for me. Thanks

Regards,
fresher- Jun 23, 2010 06:54AM
thank you "cause trouble" your solution worked for me. it was just perfect.
Answer
+4
moins plus
It works

thanks

Answer
+3
moins plus
i cant see my thumbdrive and unhide it and i still could not see it

1 2 3 Next
This document entitled « i cant see my files wich is not hidden » from CCM (ccm.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.