Computer runs, but doesn't boot up after replacing hard drive

Closed
Spencinat0r - Jan 8, 2017 at 06:38 PM
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   - Jan 9, 2017 at 05:29 AM
Hello,

So, my disk drive went bad a while back and I gust installed a new one, a WD 1 TB drive in my desktop. Simple enough, but when I tryed to install Windows it did not recognise the drive. The bios, on the other hand, did recognise it (I think). To solve this, I attempted to plug into a different SATA port, but then the computer powered on but would not boot up - e.g. no signal to monitor, no power to USB devises - while everything on the inside is powered and running. I've now tried several SATA port configurations between the hard drive and the disk drive (the only two SATA connections) to try and get back to at least booting correctly with no success. Also tried resetting bios and trying different power plugs to the hard disk. What do you guys think?

Here are the specs:
ASUS CG5275-AR003
Intel Core i5 650(3.2GHz)
8GB DDR3
asus p7h55-m mother board
delta electronics gps-400bb a power supply

Related:

1 response

R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Jan 9, 2017 at 05:29 AM
Hi Spencinat0r,

I strongly recommend you to test the WD Blue drive in another PC as a secondary storage drive. In general, if the drive is brand new, you may need to initialize it before usage. Try to do so, while connected in another desktop PC. If the drive is not recognized by Disk Management, check if it is listed in Device Manager and in BIOS. If the drive is not visible in BIOS, unfortunately there may be a drive issue and you should seek assistance from the seller and use the warranty. You can check the warranty directly on the WD web page, following the link below:
http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=ZM12NL
If the drive is working normally when connected to another PC, you may check your PC power supply because it may not be working properly.

Hope this helps