WD Passport - Files went missing

Ask a question redeleon 2Posts Thursday January 12, 2017Registration date January 12, 2017 Last seen - Last answered on Feb 22, 2017 at 02:09 AM by NonBer0
Hello all and this is my first post,

I have a WD passport external hard drive (1TB)
I have copied my files to this drive and then suddenly most files were lost

I have tried to research for a way to recover the files
I have tried the following software(s)

1. recuva
2. disk digger

but the files cant be found

also ran numerous antivirus programs (malware bytes, avast etc.)

i have tried to unhide the folders and unchecked the option to hide the system protected files
as well as the attrib -h -r -s /s /d g:*.*
but it returned an access denied error on the system volume information

I've also tried chkdsk.

mostly everything failed.

I ran out of options now and I badly need help as those files are so important

thanks!
See more 
Helpful
+0
moins plus
Hello redeleon,

Have you tested the Wd My Passport with our software for errors? It's called WD Data LifeGuard Diagnostics and can be downloaded freely from our official web site here: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=Cl0HeB
My advice is to run the extended test. Come back afterwards to share what happened.
Besides the programs mentioned by you, you could also try to access the data on your drive using Linux Live USB / CD. Within the Ubuntu forum you can see the steps how to make a bootable flash. Once you have downloaded the .iso file, change the boot priority on the computer where the USB is placed. It is done through the BIOS and you must change the boot priority to be from USB ports and not the HDD. When it boots from the PC, you have to click on try option and not on the option to install the OS.

Hope this helps. Keep me posted and good luck!

redeleon 2Posts Thursday January 12, 2017Registration date January 12, 2017 Last seen - Jan 12, 2017 at 05:33 PM
Hi KY_WD

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my message,
I'll try the software you have mentioned as well as the Linux Live USB/CD

I'll post back here after i did those

thanks!
Leave a comment
Helpful
+0
moins plus
Hi,
A lot of my files suddenly vanished, when plugged into my computer I couldn't find them, but when plugged into my smart tv, lo and behold the hard drive for some reason had created another file all by its self, and there were my missing files, only problem is you have to delete from the tv, not accessible from the computer, my new file it created began with NFSLK0000001, if this helps.
KY_WD 2066Posts Thursday October 23, 2014Registration date Certified CCM ContributorStatus February 24, 2017 Last seen - Feb 21, 2017 at 08:36 AM
Hello Corsa40,

First of all, I would like to advise you to open a new thread within the forum. It could help you get the a better visibility of your issue.
Can you share some information, what type of drive are you talking about – an external HDD drive or USB drive? So you can see the files from your TV, but you cannot access them through the PC, is that correct? Do they duplicate or something?
Have you tried to connect that external drive to another PC or have you tried to extract the information with a data recovery software?

Cheers.
Leave a comment
Helpful
+0
moins plus
Hello,
Have you tried to perform your antivirus software to see whether this hard drive is virus infected and brings you such file missing issues?
And, as with the hard drive files, you can go try more free data recovery apps searched over the internet to take chances, like TestDisk, PhotoRec, iCare Data Recovery Free and more.
Just back up everything well from now on!!!!!
Leave a comment

Member requests are more likely to be responded to.

Members can monitor the statuses of their requests from their account pages.

A CCM membership gives you access to additional options.

Not a member yet?