Internet connection for Xpcman

Closed
allanjw Posts 2 Registration date Saturday February 4, 2017 Status Member Last seen February 4, 2017 - Updated by Ambucias on 4/02/17 at 04:44 PM
allanjw Posts 2 Registration date Saturday February 4, 2017 Status Member Last seen February 4, 2017 - Feb 4, 2017 at 09:42 PM
One of my computers is having trouble accessing any web pages, even though I am connected to the internet by wifi and I found an answer from "xpcman" in which I would have to go into the registry.

I followed the instructions and everything was ok until I got to the part where I have to edit the {GUID} DWORD value. The instructions said to add another value but it would only let me type two letters so I could not go any further. I closed the registry and turned off the computer.

After that, it would not start and after several attempts, the software said it was attempting a auto- repair and would take an hour. When it finished the computer started but, of course my wifi would not work because I had altered it. That was yesterday and I have not checked it since.

I would like xpcman to get in touch with me if possible to explain more of the registry because when I "HKEY local maching system there were five entries in the GUID and I picked the one that had the numbers of my wifi so I think I picked the right one. I have a backup of the registry but if I put that back in, it will not fix the problem. I have had this problem at other times on different machines and is seems to be a common problem but I would like to fix it once and for all and spcman seems to have it sorted but has to be more specific.
Sorry for the long spiel but I hope he will get in touch.----Allan

2 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Feb 4, 2017 at 07:01 PM
Sorry I have no idea what posting you read and/or what the problems you created after the registry update. We probably need to remove the suggestion if it creates problems.
allanjw Posts 2 Registration date Saturday February 4, 2017 Status Member Last seen February 4, 2017
Feb 4, 2017 at 09:42 PM
Sorry, I replied to your email. The problem is that after following all your suggestions I could not type anything in the registry after this point.
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{GUID}"
c. In this registry path, click the (GUID) subkey that corresponds to the network adapter that is connected to the network.
d. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD (32-bit) Value.
e In the New Value #1 box, type "DhcpConnEnableBcastFlagToggle" and then press ENTER.
f. Right-click "DhcpConnEnableBcastFlagToggle" and then click Modify.
g. In the Value data box, type 1 and then click OK.
h. Close Registry Editor.
By setting this registry key to 1, Windows 7 will first try to obtain an IP address by using the BROADCAST flag in DHCP Discover packets. If that fails, it will try to obtain an IP address without using the BROADCAST flag in DHCP Discover packets.

Can you please tell me how I can do that, Allan