When manipulating data in Microsoft Excel, the Move or Copy Sheet command is a quick and simple way to move or copy entire sheets to other locations either in the same file or in a different workbook. Alternatively, you can use VBA (Visual Basic for Applications) to automate the task and make it much less tedious. This article will introduce you to both methods of copying data to another workbook in Microsoft Excel.
How to transfer or copy data in the same workbook?
The first step is to select the sheet(s) that you would like to move or copy. To select multiple sheets, simply select your first sheet, and then, hold down the Control key while clicking the additional sheets that you'd like to copy.
On the Home tab of the upper toolbar, find the Cells group, and click Format. Under Organize Sheets, click Move or Copy Sheet.
A dialog box will open. In the Before list, you can either click the sheet before which you'd like to insert the moved or copied sheets, or you can click move to end to insert the sheets after the last sheet in your workbook.
To copy the sheets instead of moving them, select the Create a copy check box found in the Move or Copy dialog box.
How to transfer or copy data from different workbooks?
If you'd like to move or copy Excel worksheets to another workbook, you must first make sure that the target workbook is open in the same version of Microsoft Excel.
Select the sheets that you'd like to move or copy. Next, go to the Home tab on your toolbar and click the Cells group > Format. Under Organize Sheets, click Move or Copy Sheet.
A dialog box will open. In the To book list, choose to either move or copy the selected sheets to an existing workbook or to move or copy the sheets to a new workbook.
In the Before list, you can either click the sheet before which you'd like to insert the moved or copied sheets, or you can click move to end to insert the sheets after the last sheet in your workbook.
How to transfer or copy data using VBA?
Sub CopyOpenItems() ' ' CopyOpenItems Macro ' Copy open items to sheet. ' ' Keyboard Shortcut: Ctrl+Shift+O ' Dim wbTarget As Workbook 'workbook where the data is to be pasted Dim wbThis As Workbook 'workbook from where the data is to be copied Dim strName As String 'name of the source sheet/ target workbook 'set to the current active workbook (the source book) Set wbThis = ActiveWorkbook 'get the active sheetname of the book strName = ActiveSheet.Name 'open a workbook that has same name as the sheet name Set wbTarget = Workbooks.Open("C:\filepath\" & strName & ".xlsx") 'select cell A1 on the target book wbTarget.Range("A1").Select 'clear existing values form target book wbTarget.Range("A1:M51").ClearContents 'activate the source book wbThis.Activate 'clear any thing on clipboard to maximize available memory Application.CutCopyMode = False 'copy the range from source book wbThis.Range("A12:M62").Copy 'paste the data on the target book wbTarget.Range("A1").PasteSpecial 'clear any thing on clipboard to maximize available memory Application.CutCopyMode = False 'save the target book wbTarget.Save 'close the workbook wbTarget.Close 'activate the source book again wbThis.Activate 'clear memory Set wbTarget = Nothing Set wbThis = Nothing End Sub
- Copy data from another workbook vba
- Copy data to another workbook vba
- Excel vba to copy data from another workbook
- Macro to copy data from one workbook to another based on criteria [solved] > Forum - Excel
- Copy data from one Excel workbook to another > Guide
- Copy Worksheet to another Workbook (unopened) [solved] > Forum - Excel
- Macro to copy data to new workbooks based on condition > Forum - Excel
- Copy data from one excel sheet to another: automatically > Guide
- Change date format in Excel: to dd/mm/yyyy, mm/dd/yyyy
- How to take screenshot in Excel: shortcut, sheet, cell
- How to use Excel color cell if formula
- How to display multiple columns in a validation list
- Create new sheet based on cell value: Excel, macro
- Convert numbers to words in Excel: without VBA, formula
- How to disable auto recover in Excel
- VBA select case like: operator, string, statement
- How to apply a function to multiple sheets on Excel
- Fix arrows keys in Excel: Scroll lock, alternative method
- How to change author name in Excel: spreadsheet, VBA
- How to enable VBA in Excel: Mac, Office 365
- Recover Excel file: previous version
- How many IF statements can you nest in Excel
- What is the VBA code to select last sheet in workbook
- How to perform a partial cell match in Excel?
- Check if a value exists in an array VBA
- How to insert file path in excel: cell, sheet
- How to use an IF statement to add 1 to total
- Excel send value to another cell
- How to add sheet to workbook: VBA, Excel
- How to count names in Excel: formula, using COUNTIF
- How to run macro when data entered in a cell
- Open and convert an Excel file in Notepad
- How to transfer data from one Excel sheet to another?
- How to enter multiple lines in a single Excel cell
- How combine IF function, SEARCH and ISERROR in Excel
- Search and find using VBA in Excel
- Run macro on opening: worksheet, workbook
- How to change a column to numeric in Excel?
- How to export Excel data: from one sheet to another
- Most useful Excel formulas: for data analysis
- VBA Excel color codes: index number, list
- Insert a hyperlink in Excel: with text, to another tab
- How to create UserForm: in Excel, VBA
- How to insert GIF in Excel: 365, sheet, VBA
- Unlock password protected Excel file: Macro
- How to create calculator in Excel VBA
- How to calculate VAT in Excel: formula
- How to use Excel auto numbering formula
- Mark sheet grade formula in Excel: template
- Split a workbook into individual files in Excel
- How to generate email notifications for Excel updates
- How to add a number of days to a date in Excel
- Repeat rows in Excel: based on cell value, VBA
- How to fill multiple Excel sheets from master sheet
- Recalculate Excel workbook before saving
- How to manipulate data in Excel: VBA
- Excel functions in French
- How to automatically transfer data between sheets in Excel
- How to copy a Macro into a blank cell
- Insert picture in Excel: cell, shortcut, using formula
- How to connect VB 6.0 with MS Access
- Using VBA to find last non empty row: in column, in table
- How to show or hide formula bar in Excel: VBA, shortcut
- How to change enter key function in Excel
- Add an Excel VBA command button programmatically
- How to create a cascading combo box: Excel, VBA
- How to count occurrences of characters and numbers in Excel
- Select the default number of processors in Excel
- Run Macros in Excel: online, shortcuts, VBA
- Auto generate serial number in Excel: VBA, formula
- How to apply if function in Excel: with dates, with text
- Delete duplicates in Excel: column, formula
- Select empty cell in Excel: VBA
- Compare two Excel sheets: and combine data
- How to insert a transparent image into an Excel document
- How to remove leading apostrophe in Excel
- How to conditionally format Excel data with dates?
- Shortcuts to insert in Excel
- How to change row color in Excel VBA based on value
- Send email with attachment Excel: VBA, macros
- Transfer a worksheet to another Excel workbook: without VBA
- How to change Excel date format
- How to split text in columns in Excel
- Insert an image into an Excel comment box
- How to create a drop-down list in Excel
- How to use spreadsheets: introduction, formulas, functions
- What is the credit summation formula?
- How to create a timer in Excel VBA
- Create a new workbook and copy data in Excel via a Macro
- How to update dates in Excel spreadsheet: formula
- Transfer Excel data from one sheet to another: VBA
- How to copy data to multiple worksheets in Excel
- Excel IF, AND, OR, and NOT functions
- How to clear formatting in Excel
- How to insert blank rows using macros in Excel
- How to use conditional formatting in Excel
- How to insert multiple rows in Excel with a macro?
- How to modify comments and indicator preferences in Excel
- How to create multiple checkboxes in Excel using VBA