SyncBack is a program for directory synchronization. It can be used:
- To make backups of files.
- To synchronize directories between computers.
- To synchronize USB keys or removable disks.
It is capable of making differential savings, and only transfers the modified files.
Although SyncBack is the free version of SyncBack, it is full feature freeware :
- United or bi-directional synchronization.
- Filters file and directory names.
- Filters the file types (compressed NTFS, coded or not, etc.)
- File compression
- Can make synchronizations between several files at the same time.
- Manual or planned synchronization (in thorough task)
- Simulations of synchronization (to see what would be transferred)
- Option of integrated restoration (with simulation)
- Comparison of file by date / hour, size or sum of control (as you prefer)
- Synchronization with a directory or a local disk, a network reader or a FTP server
- Automatic ejection of the support at the end of synchronization
- Automatic closure of certain programs before launching synchronization (that is practical to avoid locked files)
- Sends automatic email for the follow-up of synchronization progress.
All that makes SyncBack a powerful software of synchronization, as functional as its commercial counterparts.
You can use one of the predefined parameter setting, or customise :
SyncBack supports synchronization with a FTP server, very practical to publish one's Web site :
You can also synchronize with a network reader by specifying different logins /pass words :
Note that if you wish to synchronize a very large volume of data, it can be more useful to use tools such as Unison and rsync: these tools transfer only the modified parts of files (SyncBack always transfers the entire file when a modification has been detected).