Sharing a usb printer on a Windows 7 machine with Windows 10.

Solved/Closed
BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 - Updated on Jan 19, 2018 at 10:22 AM
BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 - Feb 7, 2018 at 03:23 AM
Hi All,

I only come here when Im in trouble now. Sorry guys.

I have a Windows 7 machine that has a USB printer attached to it. It is a shared printer and other Windows 7 machines can see and print to it quite happily. And then came in the new employee with a brand windows 10 machine. Why I have to suffer with this old machine is another issue, but we have tried to share this (old) printer with the Windows 10 machine. The machine can see the printer when you go to install it, but when you say to it "please do install this nice bit of old kit" and you stroke it oh so tenderly it says that the printer cannot be found - even though it found it in the previous step.

What am I doing wrong please?

I really appreciate thank you messages as a payment for solving issues   :o)
Related:

5 responses

Blocked Profile
Jan 19, 2018 at 04:53 PM
Wow, its still nice to see you come around every once in a while.

Turn Off the FIREWALL on the Win7 device and see if it it sees it then.

Place the Drivers for the printer on the NEW 10 machine also. What happens if you place the printer on the 10 machine and share from there?
BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 150
Jan 22, 2018 at 08:04 AM
Hi Ac3mark,

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately it isnt possible to set up the Windows 10 machine as the printers host as the room layout wont permit this. I will try the adding the drivers for the printer as soon as I can get my grubby little hands on it, but I fear that the printer might be too old ... but I will see as soon as I can. As for the firewall, would the other Windows 7 machine be able to print to this printer if the firewall was the culprit?
BrianGreen Posts 1005 Registration date Saturday January 17, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen September 30, 2021 150
Updated on Jan 22, 2018 at 08:17 AM
Tried the firewall, but still no joy :^(

I find the printer by putting the network addess of the windows 7 pc (\\windows7machine\) and then it finds the printers installed after the last back-slash. I click on the toshiba printer and ask it to install, but then there is the "This device cannot be found ..." (or some such message).