Adding a program to default menu for photos

Solved/Closed
Susan - Dec 7, 2019 at 11:59 PM
David Webb Posts 3177 Registration date Monday November 25, 2019 Status Administrator Last seen May 15, 2023   - Dec 9, 2019 at 03:13 AM
Changed computers to a new Windows 10 HP laptop. Had Windows 10 on the other computer (but was an upgrade from Windows 7).

I downloaded the photo program that I like to use from the internet. However, the new computer does not "see" that program when I try to make it my default photo viewer/program.

I can't figure out how to remedy this. Please help! Thanks in advance

2 responses

David Webb Posts 3177 Registration date Monday November 25, 2019 Status Administrator Last seen May 15, 2023   6,925
Dec 8, 2019 at 05:32 AM
Hello,

If the program you are talking about windows photo viewer, this should help.

1. Copy the code from this post over at TenForums into Notepad and save it as a REG file (call it whatever you like, maybe photoviewer.reg).

2. Double-click on your new REG file to merge it with your Windows Registry. You will need to click through the User Account Control and a few other windows to allow the file to make changes to the Registry.

3. You should now be able to see the Windows Photo Viewer and set it as the default program for various image files. To do this, open the Control Panel and go to Default Programs > Set Default Programs. Find Windows Photo Viewer in the list of programs, click it, and choose Set this program as default. This will set the Windows Photo Viewer as the default program for all file types it can open by default.

If the program you are referring to is different, step 3 alone could help

Good luck,
David

David Webb

Content Editor and Community Manager - CCM.net

Hi David, thank you so much for this information. Unfortunately, the program I want to use is JASC Paint Shop Pro 7. I'd downloaded it from the web, but it won't show up on my list of programs so that I can use it as my default photo viewer/editor. I want to see and edit my own photos, as well as use it to open any .jpeg or .jpg files. I'm hoping there is a fix for this that I can apply to the new computer. Thanks again! Susan
DAVID! You're a genius! I think that worked - I've tested a few files, and they open as I wish! I can also see PSP7 in the list when I click on "Open With" so I am confident that this will solve my problem! I've learned something and will retain this info! I truly appreciate it! Susan
David Webb Posts 3177 Registration date Monday November 25, 2019 Status Administrator Last seen May 15, 2023   6,925
Dec 9, 2019 at 03:13 AM
That is great news, glad I could help!
Dec 8, 2019 at 04:33 PM
Hello Susan, thank's for the extra info. I found this info on their website:

Step 1

Open Paint Shop™ Pro® and select File | Preferences | File Format Associations. In the File Format Associations dialog box, select the file types you would like associated with Paint Shop™ Pro® and click Ok. Test the file association by double-clicking a file.

Step 2

The following Windows procedure can be used if the previous failed to associate the file type.

1. Right click on a file that is of the file type you would like to be associated with Paint Shop™ Pro®, e.g. mypicture.jpg

2. Select Open with | Choose program.

3. Select Paint Shop Pro from the list of available programs by clicking it once.

4. Click the box at the bottom that says, "Always use this program to open these files" - (only available in Windows XP)

5. Click OK.

This will associate all files of this type with Paint Shop™ Pro®. You will need to repeat this procedure for each type of file you would like to associate.

I hope this helps!