Death of parent

Solved/Closed
Karen - Dec 29, 2019 at 04:34 AM
 Karen - Dec 29, 2019 at 05:05 AM
Good morning

My mum passed away 17 November 2019 and I need to delete her account I know her email address but not a password. So how can I remove her account.

1 response

David Webb Posts 3177 Registration date Monday November 25, 2019 Status Administrator Last seen May 15, 2023   6,926
Updated on Dec 29, 2019 at 04:55 AM
Good morning Karen, I'm sorry for your loss and I'll try and help you as best as I can.

Firstly which email account is it? (Gmail / Yahoo/ Hotmail etc) You will find that each provider has different steps in place to facilitate account recovery in your situation.

Below are the respective solutions for each type of email account.

Gmail help closing the deceased users account.

Yahoo

Just in case, Facebook here

Microsoft / hotmail here - need to fill in a form or here.

I also found this article with the following info:

Login from that user's computer
  • Many users save their passwords and usernames on their computer. Sometimes logging into their accounts from their computers allow you to access the account and modify or delete it. Unfortunately, if you do not have the username and password for the computer, this may not be possible.

Non-transferable or accessible accounts
  • Some companies have strict policies when it comes to accessing or deleting a deceased account. These policies may prevent an account from being deleted, even if requested by a family member of the deceased. Many times, the only method of getting the account removed or accessible is by court order.

Let expire
  • In the case of e-mail accounts, letting the e-mail expire is often be enough for most people. Over time, an e-mail account fills up or expires (often within a year). However, this may not always be the case for every company. Before resorting to this last suggestion, make sure the company will remove the account if inactive.

I hope this helps, let me know how you get on.

Kind regards,

David
David Webb

Content Editor and Community Manager - CCM.net

Thank you I will let my sister know these details as she has her laptop with all my mum account details
Regards Karen