Connecting to Router, but lose Internet Acces

Closed
Kruser - Jul 4, 2008 at 10:04 PM
timmy85 Posts 1 Registration date Sunday July 6, 2008 Status Member Last seen July 7, 2008 - Jul 7, 2008 at 08:52 AM
Hello,

I am having some problems keeping a consistent connection to the internet.I am using my downstairs apartment owners wireless internet. He has given me the network key and am able to connect to the router with excellent signal. The internet will work for a very sporadic amount of time. . .could be 2 minutes, could be 15. It works very good and very fast but then I lose connection and have to repair my connection. This works sometimes and then other times it doesn't. He is able to connect to the internet just fine, but I am not. I am running Windows XP and my computer works fine with wireless routers, but for some reason there is a problem with this one. Are there any possible ideas why I am having such great troubles with this? It is so frustrating to have to repair the connection all the time
Related:

5 responses

I would like to add that I never lose signal. It is always a great 5 bar signal that I have, just the internet that decides to stop working.
if u r using a linksys router then assign a static ip address to the wireless network connection. try this
ip address: 192.168.1.15
subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
gefault gateway 192.168.1.1
dns 192.168.1.1 or 4.2.2.2

if it does't work then select it to automatic and do ipconfig from cmd and let me know the results of ipconfig i will give u a new static ip add.
ENJOY!
Thanks for the help Shashank, I appreciate it.

Do I have to do this configuration from the other guys computer or can I do it from my computer upstairs?

Are these the proper steps for what you are telling me?

Assigning a Static IP Address to a WiFi Network Adapter
Right-click the wireless network connection icon on your taskbar, then choose Open Network Connections.

Right-click the network connection you want to change.

From the list of options, select Status from the menu.

You can then select Properties.

From the menu, highlight Internet protocol TCP/IP and then click the Properties button.

You will see a couple of options, the first is Obtain IP Address Automatically. But we want to select the second option: Use the following IP Address.

You'll need to enter both an IP address and a Subnet Mask. Since you're behind a router, you should already know your IP address is something like 192.168.1. x (where x is a number). Your router probably already has an IP address like 192.168.1.1, so you will increment the final didgit by one for each PC. So the first computer you change to static IP address will have an IP address of 192.168.1.2 and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0.

Under the Default Gateway, put the internal IP address of the router, because this is the computer's gateway to the Internet.

Under the Use The Following DNS Server Address. You can get those address from your ISP. Or, this infor might already be viewable inside of yor router's setup.

You will need to make sure thet DHCP is turned off in the router's setup.

I am no the most computer savvy person so if you can dummy some of things down a little bit for me I appreciate it.

Thanks!
I have no idea how to get to the screen to change my static Ip ...?>

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
timmy85 Posts 1 Registration date Sunday July 6, 2008 Status Member Last seen July 7, 2008
Jul 7, 2008 at 08:52 AM
hello

I have to things. I have two connections showing up in my network places, i am assuming one is for my cable internet connection. the other must be for my network??

When i try to assign IP address' do i do it to both? when i do it to the one i lose my internet connection all together.

Also when i check off the box "share internet connection with other computers" i lose my internet all together

can you help me?