Internet disconecting

Closed
praveen.n - Aug 22, 2009 at 02:47 PM
sharpman Posts 1021 Registration date Saturday May 23, 2009 Status Contributor Last seen October 20, 2010 - Aug 23, 2009 at 06:16 PM
Hello,
in my office i have static ip TATA indicom internet, this conection configured in modem as sherd internet. And conected from modem to switch and useing 20 computers it was working since 2 years without any problem. But from 2 days we have a problem like we are getting DNS request timed out after 1 minut every time due to that internet got disconect if i restart modem its working for 1 minut after that it's getting request timed out again. but same line if i chek in one system(with out LAN) it's working fine. if i connected in LAN it's geting disconnet. Please help me on this

praveen.narva
Related:

1 response

sharpman Posts 1021 Registration date Saturday May 23, 2009 Status Contributor Last seen October 20, 2010 183
Aug 23, 2009 at 06:16 PM
from what i can understand, if you connect the modem direct to a pc without any switch etc then the modem works fine.
but when the modem is the connected back to the switch the modem drops.

ok,
what i would do is unplug all network cables from both ends then hook everything up as it should be.
try modem, if fails,
then disconnect all the computers from the switch.
connect one computer up and test the modem.
if ok,
connect another one. test,
keep doing this until the modem fails. its at this point you may have found the offending beast and need to look at that piece of equipment.
if it fails on the first one un plug it and try in another port. if still fails unplug and try another one in the first port.

try all untill you get a computer to work on modem without failing.
if none of pcs can connect without modem dropping then it's possibly your switch that has failed.
it's a matter of trial and error untill you find the offending beast, it may even be that a cable has become dislodged and not making a good contact.