Whole Screen is Blue when shutting down

Closed
Ink - Oct 20, 2009 at 03:06 PM
 Ink - Oct 20, 2009 at 06:46 PM
Hello,
When I try to shut down my Dell Latitude D610 Laptop, before it can shut down it displays a totally blue screen so quickly I can not read what it says. Then it kicks on the Dell Screen and then the Opening Windows Screen. Consequently I am not able to use System restore which some people suggest I do to fix the problem.

Is there someplace I can go to look at blue screen so I can read what the problem is and how to correct it.
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,827
Oct 20, 2009 at 03:38 PM
Windows XP is programmed by default to restart immediately after a major error, like one that causes a Blue Screen of Death (BSOD). This reboot happens too fast to record the error message for use in troubleshooting.

Follow these easy steps to disable the automatic restart feature for system failures in Windows XP.

Here's How:

1. Navigate to the Control Panel in Windows XP by left-clicking on Start, followed by Settings and then choosing Control Panel.
2. In the Control Panel window, open System.

Note: In Microsoft Windows XP, depending on how your operating system is setup, you may not see the System icon. To correct this, click on the link on the left-hand side of the Control Panel window that says Switch to Classic View.
3. In the System Properties window, click on the Advanced tab.
4. Locate the Startup and Recovery area and click on the Settings button.
5. In the Startup and Recovery window, locate and uncheck the check box next to Automatically restart.
6. Click OK in the Startup and Recovery window.
7. Click OK in the System Properties window.
8. From now on, when a problem causes a BSOD or another major error that halts the system, the PC will not automatically reboot. Rebooting manually will be necessary.

You can return to this forum with the error message for more help.

Good Luck
The box next to Automatic Restart was not checked. It was empty. Therefore I am still having trouble.