Router disconects when phone gets used

Solved
vicky - Updated on Jun 8, 2017 at 05:06 AM
 Trudi - Jan 27, 2019 at 05:35 PM
Hello,
when I use my phone my sky router box turns off and I lose my internet connection I have phoned sky about this they say its my lap top but it has a new wireless card in and I know its the box as the lights on the frount go from yellow which is ok to orange which is not it means no connection they just dont under stand when I tell them is there any body out there that has the same problem or had same problem and know how to fix it I have changed the fiter over on the phone line and it is not that I dont know what else to do !!:-(
Related:

60 responses

Just ask Sky to send you a filter.They normally send three filters when you get a phone and broadband package.that is due to the broadband and phone using the same line.The filters seperate the signals and background noise.They should come free if you ask them to send some to you.It's a standard nowadays for you to reciueve filters with your line/connection.

Hope this helps.

Knight
commutonguetiedadvisor Posts 1 Registration date Sunday January 10, 2010 Status Member Last seen January 11, 2010
Jan 11, 2010 at 09:36 AM
Phone companies live in the dark ages (PERIOD) Like a this is NOT a English class. It is his simple question and all I have seen from it is how da question was asked with his grammar. He can't help it because he is a retard as you all have put it. We must be nice to the less fortunate ones guys? It is according to you boring ones to pick on them but let's get on with your lives and leave the tards alone. Now to the headlines. If you are stuck in the wireless router loop then the disconnect is inevitable.
When the technology has it whereas it is like a non-wireless then it will be a brighter day. The new AT&T G5 will be Comcast’s nightmare. I am running DS3 from “Plough”. Also Comcast 50MB for email and surfing.
Now here for you gurus; The power companies can run power to anywhere. This is no secret. After retiring from Bell Labs 40 years. It is the same with internet. Your speed should never disconnect or have random speeds? Can you imagine the power companies charging you monthly fees for electricity and everyone is gets disconnects and random power levels? So take it from someone that know the facts; me. The internet suppliers supplies just like the electric suppliers need one thing; a GOOD connection one their end and if you are having these problems of disconnects and random power levels contact the FCC and your disconnects and random speeds will disappear. You can find the FCC phone number online for you area but you should go to Washington first and let them hear your obvious problem and/or complaint and the FCC will take care of it. When you have a complaint department in the phone company. It stops there and you will still have the problem. They put a man on the moon but they can not supply the power? You pay them enough don’t you? Next question. I am through now.
Hi, I have a phone socket right next to my ps3 and I was wondering if I could use it to get a wired connection. I currently have a wireless sky box and the connection is average and I was wondering whether I could make it better. If it is going to cut off when the phone rings I dont want it but if anybody has any ideas it would be great.

PSN: Stestcool
Youtube: Stestcool
Hi, I have a phone socket right next to my ps3 and I was wondering if I could use it to get a wired connection. I currently have a wireless sky box and the connection is average and I was wondering whether I could make it better. If it is going to cut off when the phone rings I dont want it but if anybody has any ideas it would be great.

PSN: Stestcool
Youtube: Stestcool

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Long story I'm afraid. If you want to cut to the chase just read last paragraph for how mine was sorted.

I had this problem for over a year. Thought it was my cordless phone/micro filters/router and gradually changed all of above but no difference. Spoke to BT who got me to do their tests. They couldn't find a fault so told me to wait a couple of days to see if any change.

Obviously there wasn't so I phoned back and did same carry on again. Eventually they said problem was that I didn't have a BT homehub router so I would need to take out a new contract to get one. I did this (knowing it wasn't the router but they insisted this was the solution) and of course it did't fix it.

Phoned then up again and they sent out an engineer who spent all day changing everything in the house and at the exchange but no difference.

They then sent out a "special" engineer who tried all of 1st engineers remedies without success. Eventually he found a small nick in the cable under the floor before it emerged at the master house socket. He cut the cable and reconnected it to the socket and ..... it's sorted!
Hi I also have this problem, well at first it was this problem it began with my internet losing connection when the phone rang even before I answered I would loose connection. So I disconnected my home phone completely I only have 1 phone socket but the problem persisted I contacted my provider (TALK TALK) to which the said to check the cable, check the wireless, check the filters check everything so I did even though I knew it was just my internet I have 1 desktop, 1 laptop and my Xbox360 all on wireless there all connected to the router but the router is not connected to the internet when I've phoned TALK TALK they gave me the second line tech team number which every time I've rang after of course having me number renewed so I could get through the tech team is in Mumbai India so after explaining my problem over twenty times they still tell me to check the same things (cable, wireless, filters etc) I have done the same procedure over and over again with no result they cant tell me the problem so they cant send out an engineer to fix a problem they don't understand my last draw is if the problem isn't sorted by next Friday 26/02/10 I will be canceling my contract with them which of course they don't care about.
hi i'm just reading your issue and would like to offer you a little assistance if you haven't got the problem resolved yet. you posted you have the following setup: 1 desktop, 1 laptop and my Xbox360 all on wireless there all connected to the router but the router is not connected to the internet. do connect via PPPOE or are you connected directly through DHCP? What operating systems are you using on your systems (not that it matters). I think it's a simple configuration problem but will wait to hear from to confirm the above information.

i know how it can be frustrating at times so if I can offer you a little assistance I would be more than happy to do that.

talk to you soon.

helpdesk
TribalTalker Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday March 16, 2010 Status Member Last seen March 16, 2010
Mar 16, 2010 at 06:29 AM
Router won't connect when dect phone base station is plugged in.
I used to have a BT DECT phone base station and my Sky ADSL wireless router connected through a filter directly into my BT master socket. This worked fine.
Then I got a Panasonic KX-TG6422 DECT system to replace the old BT DECT system.
Just plugging in the new phone stops the router being able to connect to the Internet.
Swapping back to the old BT phone cures the problem.
What's going on?
I have tried moving the router to a different socket, replacing the master socket, changing the filters [although not carefully enough - see follow-up message] ... running out of ideas.
TribalTalker Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday March 16, 2010 Status Member Last seen March 16, 2010
Mar 16, 2010 at 09:29 AM
Having read various forum messages, I tried stacking two filters (connect the phone to a filter, then to another filter, then into the socket) and it seems to be working. So far, so good.

[Later] Just discovered that one of the filters is intermittent. Now running just one filter, all is well. I think the old BT phone was over-engineered and had some built-in filtering, so it didn't fail when the old filter broke.
Even if you are not using a cordless phone, it you have a cordless phone base connected somewhere in your home, it is probably broadcasting on the same frequency as your wireless router.

Check the manual for your router for instructions on changing your router's frequency. Some companies also have a 24 hour help line that can walk you through the process. I had the same problem up until today. I already knew how to change the frequency, but I did not realize this was the problem until I read this blog.
i have the same problem has you I hve phone sky and they say it is the fiters
same thing happens to me. its sooo annoying.
if no-one has heard the other fifty million experts, it's your wireless phone and router on the same frequency, or too close at least-

what does the phone sound like? clear or scratchy?

changing the channels doesn't really help, but it's worth a try if it's free...

the frequency for channel 1 should be 2.401GHz though, not 1.8GHz...
and the highest channel, 11 only goes up to 2.473GHz-

so thats not much of a difference, especially if a 1.8GHz phone is throwing it off the signal.

i would find a land line phone to use for a few weeks, see how it goes, then try a 5GHz cordless later on-

the other alternative is changing the router, but that would cost more-

most routers have config pages (web pages), like http:\\10.1.1.1
i've had 3 with default usernames/passwords of "admin" pretty easy
just don't play too much with the settings... lol

just google your routers default password and look around in there
for the channels, then try channels 1, 6 and 11, if still fails then u out of luck-

hope that helps
i have the same problem. when im on xbox itss the most anoyingest thing ever
It happens to me also..really upsetting!
make sure that you that you are using the correct filter for your router,the filter that allows the signal to flow, also make sure all devices that are plugged into the phone line have filters,even direct tv and cable tv boxes.Im not sure who provides phone service in your area,most phone companies use a NETWORK INTERFACE especially on homes. If your network interface is an older model it has what in called a half ringer it helps the metal line test system measure the distance from your house to the central office,but it acts like an unfiltered phone creating noise (hiss) and causes the line to crash at times when receiving calls,most phone techs remove this when doing DSL service calls,its located in the test port were you plug into to test if your phone service is out,it looks like a rectangular small black or grey box some look like a small electronic circuit.You can cut it out a reattach the red & green wires.That should help.
Hi
We had the same problem with our internet...we just fixed it yesterday...you need a splitter box you can buy them at almost any electronic hardware store....you need to plug the splitter into the back of your phone....IMPORTANT: if you have anything running through an internet cable you need a splitter box in the back...such as a non wireless printer, computer or what ever
Hope I helped!
My problem was solved when I unchecked the uPnP setting in my NetGear Wireless N-150 router.
if u r in australia and u hv tp-link wireless problem using internet while using phone the most simple solution is to change channel to 3 instead auto ..
take them off my ienet is working om my now
i have heard buying a 5ghz phone instead of a 2.4 ghz phone may fix this problem! I don't by any means guarantee that it will though? :o)
hello Guys, I am having the same problem, however it's nothing to do with Sky. I had the same problem when I had O2 broadband. it might be that your phone socket is being overloaded with stuff and as suggested above, try changing the channel on your router, which might do the trick. I actually have my phone, broadband and another connection going to my sky box, which is a requirement from Sky. I will try this later today, hope it works.