Fixing Your PS3 Network Connection

Solved
Rhino - Sep 2, 2008 at 07:45 PM
 Drdealy - Feb 17, 2019 at 11:07 PM
Hello,
Check it out. If you r constantly getting connection interruptions during game-play then here is what u need to do. If u r using a router (no matter the brand), the problem probably has to do with the router. In order to find out, disconnect your PS from the router and plug it directly into you modem. If your modem is not near your playstation then move it close to the ps3. The modem plugs directly into your cable line so there is a good chance that the television you play your PS3 on has a cable connection. One you have connected your PS to your modem press the reset button on the modem. Turn your PS on and go directly to your network settings. Click on Internet Connection Test (do not bother trying to set up a connection manually, if you do this chances are you will mess something up). If you are getting a connection then you are ready to go. There is a good chance you may never get a connection interruption again. For the time being you will be able to enjoy playing call of duty like you once did. Now u might ask what am I supposed to do with my router? I need it for my laptop, xbox, etc? Just buy a new one. Chances are the one that you have is garbage. It might have worked great at once, but hey, these things happen. I suggest doing your research and find a router that works well with gaming. I hope this works. In summary, it is not your playstation or your internet service provider that is giving you problems... It is your router... connect your PS to your router to test this theory...
Related:

69 responses

For anyone who wants to connect the N+ Belkin router to their ps3!!

I spoke to the belkin support and they sent me this to follow:

All works now.....

Sudha K V: Hi, my name is Sudha K V. How may I help you?
Rishi Lad: hi
Rishi Lad: I am trying to connect my ps3 to the belkin router
Sudha K V: Ok.
Rishi Lad: but I have heard other people have the same problem can u help
Rishi Lad: connecting the playstation 3 wirelessly to the belkin router
Rishi Lad: it works when I connect it through a wired connection but not wirelessly
Sudha K V: As I understand, you have a problem connecting wireless PS3 with the router.
Rishi Lad: yes
Rishi Lad: the problem is it will not connect saying it cannot find an access point but all my other computers read it. I know its not the ps3 because all the other routers I have work with the ps3
Sudha K V: I understand your concern.
Sudha K V: Not to worry, I will certainly help you with this!
Rishi Lad: occassionally it does read the ps3 but then it stll doesnt connect
Rishi Lad: thanks
Sudha K V: Would it be fine if I go ahead and give the steps?
Rishi Lad: yes thanks
Sudha K V: Please enable the follow network settings manually on the PS3.

IP address: 192.168.2.200, subnet mask: 255.255.255.0, default gateway: 192.168.2.1, primary DNS address 4.2.2.2 and secondary DNS address 4.2.2.1

Sony Electronics created the Playstation, which communicates with game servers. Ports used by PlayStation are as follows:

• TCP Ports: 80, 443, 5223, and 10070 - 10080

• UDP Ports: 3478, 3479, 3658, and 10070

Please follow the steps given below to open the ports on the router.

- Please open the Internet Explorer and in the address bar type in "192.168.2.1" and "Enter". The computer should be connected to the router with an Ethernet cable.
- Leave the password blank and click on "submit".
- Click on "Virtual server" under the "Firewall".
- Check the "Enable" box and
- Enter the description as "Play Station 3"
- Enter the port number under "Inbound port" & "Private port".
- Enter the Static IP address of the "PS3" under the "Private IP address".
- Click on "Apply changes".

Example: Line 1, enable is ticked, description is "Play Station, Inbound Port is 443-443 (443 in each box), Type - UDP, Private IP = 192.168.2.200, Private Port = 443-443
Sudha K V: The above instructions will resolve your issue.
Rishi Lad: is this a general issue that all belkin routers have with the ps3?
Sudha K V: This is an issue with the firewall as Belkin router has inbuilt firewall.
Sudha K V: To make the router to work with PS3, ports need to be opened to allow the traffic.

This should resolve it.
why doesn't ps3 let u connect with certain people...

for example my friends and I play call of duty 4 ... but I cant connect with my friend joe and he cant connect with me so we have to have other people host it for us
its sending your ps3 and your buddies ps3 to the same port...set one up manually with the DMZ numbers..the other ps3 have it do the connection on its own. this should solve the problem
superlizard234
Nov 8, 2008 at 03:38 PM
how do you make your own online games on call of duty 4?
Jack R > JBUL
Jan 6, 2009 at 11:51 AM
Hello, I play both call of duty 4 and world at war, I try to connect to my mates, and I can connect to most of them, but certain people I can't connect to, and it said that the game session is not longer avalible, but I know it is as we talk over the phone when trying to connect. I can connect to some of them when my other friend has hosted. I read your comment about the ''DMZ'' but can you explain this in more detail for me. I cannot move my router, and my connection type is wireless. I have tryed getting it wired, but it has to go a long way so it is impossible to be done. My connection percent is mainly 60-80 % when I go into my network settings.

please help me clear this propble

Jack
wires and plugs
Jan 8, 2009 at 12:48 AM
Check with you ISP provider and see if they have the ports needed blocked.
gamerboy1993 > Jack R
Mar 2, 2009 at 03:07 PM
hey I have the same problem and alls you have to do is leave the online lobby and go back to the menu and try again. if it still does not work have your friend back out to the main menu also. if it is still giving you trouble just try turning off your ps3 and going back on and eventually it should start working for you
DarkSniper0702
Nov 10, 2008 at 11:57 AM
Yay I found someone that knows how to fix problems!!! My problem is when I go on Call Of Duty4 and I click Find Game it says Downloading Game Settings.... What should I do and also it signs me out now and again
jonny campbell
Jan 25, 2009 at 11:22 AM
aye mate I have the same problem with call of duty 4 its really shite if you find out how to fix it please tell me cheers.
jdd > jonny campbell
Feb 23, 2009 at 05:47 PM
firewall settings turn them all off and try
my call of duty 4 does it aswell but after bout 2months it goes bak on again then next month it starts again! do you know how to fix it?
Well thats usually the online new setup that has to be downloaded for you to go any further, Whenever they say anything like dat, all you need to do is follow the steps and download it for you to play online :D
I know a way to get it to work because it does the same to me. 1st way is if u have a modem connected to your computer go on cod4 then unplug the internet cable then put it back in and when u sign back in it should let u find a game. the olnly other solution I know is you have to let it download. It doesnt matter how long becuase I had to wait an hour once!! but when you do that after the first or the few times it should download game settings quicker.
hey I am having a problem I have just recently bought a ethernet cable from dick smith electronics and I put the ethernet cable in the telephone port and the other end in the back of the playstation 3 and when I go to setup the internet connection I click wired connection but it comes up saying please insert an ethernet cable. im confused cause I dont know what to do can you please help me
you need to plug it into your modem. the telephone port is for the telephone the e-net cable. if your using your computer as the modem plug the e-net cable in the e-net port behind it.

what is a good router for the ps3 and xbox? wireless and wired connections. im using a wired connection but cant seem to get a online do to the router I have.
mine wont work
well ,mudj

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Hi, I have a Belkin N Modem Router, Virgin Broadband supplied modem, my PC is hardwired, my PS3 is wireless. I can connect to one friend all the time, no problem. Another friend, we have not been able to connect since we both bought COD WaW. If the friend that I can connect to invites us, all three of us can connect and play.

I have tried the port forwarding thing, DMZ every possible suggestion to solve the problem and yet still no joy, even running on a proxy server, still no joy. Also I have hardwired the PS3 directly to the modem and still no answer. Surely this cannot be a router problem as I can connect to other friends in other games as well.

Can someone please offer an alternative solution to this problem that has not been mentioned on every other PS3 forum?

Cheers
In my previous post, I had mentioned that I had difficulty in connecting to a particular friend on COD WaW for the PS3. Well today 02/02/09, a strange thing happened; we were able to connect with no problems at all.

I believe this problem is mainly due to the servers the game runs on because I did everything to solve the issue, Port Forwarding, DMZ, PS3 hardwired to the modem even a proxy server. I have had the PS3 in a DMZ with he ports forwarded for approx. 3 weeks and still had the problem. Then today all was fine.

If it was my router, then it should have solved the problem straight away. For the majority of people DMZ and Port forwarding is not the solution, but perseverance that the servers will work one day and be able to connect to your friend(s).

Did anyone else play today and found that it was fixed, or working better? I t would be nice to hear from you.

I will have to wait to see what tomorrow holds...
playstation addict(PS1,2,3,psp)
Jan 30, 2009 at 11:32 PM
www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm...start at this link(copy and paste to your browser) for the port forwarding info and also try entering ps3's ip address(not mac address) given by your router to ps3 into the "DMZ" option of the "WAN"settings of your router..."upnp" has to be enabled but if you have a good router with good protection it will still give trouble using this feature so you will have to do a little homework(searching) with your specific router to make sure your router understands that the ps3 is okay to use this feature...hence the "DMZ" option...telling your router specifically that this device is the only thing using that feature...WARNING:do not put your pc's ip address in this option..this feature is a less secured option of your router...ps3 should be fine but not your personal computer!....i can only speak for the netgear wgr614v6 that I am using and I can say confidently that I have officially moved from "upnp :not available" to "available" and "Nat type: type 3"(weak connection for chat,etc)to "Nat type: type 2"(good connection)....make sure your router has the latest firmware(netgear support...kb.netgear.com/app/home)..also when setting up your wireless connection on ps3...choosing the easy option during setup is fine but if you want to enter all the info manually... you can, just make sure you have the correct info when entering it......(just thought I would add this info here in case people were still this having this connection issue as I was....going on two years with this problem...just didnt realize it untill my brother got a ps3 too and we started having problems connecting to each other online) hope this helps!
My connection work beautifully until the latest system update (December08). The router settings are all properly configured, as is everything else in my house. Unfortunately my connection to the playstation network times out periodically. I ignored it at the time, and attributed it to insufficent server resources during the holidays. Now I'm itching to get back into some online play, and I am unable. Does anyone know what is causing this? I know this isn't an issue with my router or network settings for sure, unless the PS3 is more finicky that the other 8 units on my network.
stfu, plz
This is the biggest pile of bullshit Ive ever heard, where do you get off giving "advice" like that?!

Pfft
I've with the same problem.

I have a netgear wireless cable voice gateway cvg834g, i´ve configurate my port forwarding, but sill don't work as it should.

In all other games like Pes2009, MotoGP the connection works perfect... The signal is 100% wireless in PS3, but Call of Duty 5 don't work

What can I do more to solve it???? It could be for DMZ???? What can I do more?

Please, anyone help me...
ProfsrKos2012
Oct 16, 2009 at 03:56 AM
This is the most retarded answer to this problem. The problems are happening within the router, but by no means should any one have to bypass it altogether. Contact the help line for you brand of router and they will direct you on the CORRECT process!
i want to play call of duty on playstation 3 online but I dont know how???

so plz tell me step by step how to do that in my station
thanks
You guys are funny. The reason your connection is dropping is because if the connection is wireless, loss of signal strength will disconnect the PS3 from the router. Make sure your ps3 is as close as possible to the wireless router. You can upgrade to a better wireless router (n or n300 standards) which may improve the connection strength. Running a cable to the PS3 is not always the best answer.
My new wireless n router is 5 feet away from my PS3 and I still get connection interupted . Nothing funny about that.
thats retarded considering the ps3 only uses g, not n. do the math before you provide an answer.
wireless n means his router is nearly new, can also do g, and not a piece of garbage. this is a port forwarding issue, what we need are the ports to forward.
MJSTAF > nato
Feb 28, 2010 at 09:20 PM
Does Anyoen know how to fix the error 8001050F. Pissing me off cuz all of my nework settings are perfect and I have check millions of times, but I am always signed on the PS3 Network
hello, I have a 60gb ps3. I play online a lot but just about 2 or 3 weeks ago every time I would try an log online it will say ( a connection to the system could not be established go to settings> network setting and check your setting). so it won't let me sign in. I am not real good at fixing electronics and this is the first time I have had a problem with my ps3. I would like to be able to go online again so could you you help me out. You seem to know what your talking about when it comes to electronics. Thank you
I had the same thing but I know how to fix it. what has hapened is ur router is not connected to the ps3. U can either do two things. Unfortunatly I dont no if u wired or wireless but it doesnt matter I can still help. if u wired (ur router has cable connected to your ps3) then u need to unplug I think its the ethernet cable (a black one if that helps) and plug it back in. Then it will let you on. if it doesnt then go to internet connection settings and click custom method then either click automatically or scan for one and then click automatic theen from then on click the top answers and save it. If that dont work I suggest ringing sony (08456000124) if ur wireless I suggest also ringing sony because when I had the problem I only had to fix that when it was wired not wireless. :)
My NAT says type 2 what exactly does this mean. I tried playing Mortal Kombat VS. DC Universe online and it won't let me. what do I have to do?
Even with a router properly configured, you can still have problems. My nat type is level 2 and I still cannot get good connections. Ps3 wireless is junk, you need to go wired. The problem with that is I have never gotten it to work wired, even though it works wireless. ps3 networking is sub par, not peoples routers
Spent days trying to make my problem go away.

Had the same problem, everytime I would hook up to the PSN. It would run great for a couple minutes, and then bang no more network connection. Tried for hours to make it work without any luck................. Till I tried updating the firmware on my router (SMC).........................No more problems. By the way BACKUP your router setting before you update the firmware.

Hope this solution work for you.

ZUB
hi guys I had the same problem but just solved it I went onto my router settings and turned on Universal Plug and Play(UPnP) next I went to network settings on my ps3 and went to internet connection settings and selected easy!!!

then when you do the network test make sure its on NAT 1 or 2 you will understand when you do it honest!!
Hi,
It is such a nice stuff and I really like it. Thank you so much for sharing.
Stella
hey well when im in the game playin call of duty world at war, im in the game and like while im playin 2 minutes later it says connection interruption and it does that mostly every game I play and it sucks can you show me how to fixed that exacly I dont get it.. plzz I hate it...