IPod with Linksys WRT54G router - using NAT?

Closed
greg - Jan 27, 2010 at 11:18 PM
 ga - Aug 7, 2010 at 02:13 AM
Hello,
I have a few local PCs and a Linksys WRT54G WiFi router all connected to a common switch, then outward to a network and Internet. A few PCs are fixed IP, a few DHCP. I can administer the Linksys through a Wifi connection, or through a direct plug-in to one of its managed ports.

Now, I have a new iPod, and it connects fine to the Linksys and Internet.
But, it cannot seem to see any of the local PCs on the same switch and local network, and vice-versa.

I'd like them to all look like they are just as if hardwired, and be able to interact, even though the iPod is WiFi only. I'd guess that the Linksys is somehow filtering /firewall blocking traffic? Or NAT masking addresses?
Related:

3 responses

Dacota920 Posts 45 Registration date Wednesday September 9, 2009 Status Member Last seen August 10, 2010 5
Jan 28, 2010 at 12:44 AM
Hi there,
Apple uses Unix based operating system.That's the reason it is not showing it in the lan.
No - Unix/Linux, windows, Mac, .. all use standard protocols, and inter-operate well on a network.

I think it is because the Linksys does NAT, and forms its own sub-network.
Dacota920 Posts 45 Registration date Wednesday September 9, 2009 Status Member Last seen August 10, 2010 5
Feb 8, 2010 at 11:01 PM
Hello there,
There is big difference in file system of windows and unix based operating system.
And now about your ipod, it would be only accessible on Mac system in lan.

Regards
Dacota920
how to rectify?